Hull Flexing?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have that "pipe" on my model so it is not peculiar to the PSC constructed boat. It is indispensible as a handhold, but I doubt it has any structural value since the only thing connecting the SS tubing to the bracket mounted under the coach roof is a single machine screw (which was missing when I bought my boat).

Also, in thinking about the problem, I don't see any way that the TFG can pull away from the hull since the keel is bolted through the TFG. It must be that the entire structure of your boat is moving. Do you notice any slackening of the standing rigging?

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
No slacking in the rigging. In fact once the boat is launched and the gap appears it stays the same size regarless of how hard we sail the boat. This is why I am not terribly concerned. Its mainly a cosmetic issue for me.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
E34 symmetric lift

This is an old thread now but I just thought I should check in. On our '88 E34, the galley sink cabinet at the base appears to be lifted about 3/16" on the aft end of the cabinet, and almost nothing at the fore end of the same cabinet, which is about 20" forward.

oceandreams89

Member II
I have this same issue with my 1989 38-200. Along with this space between the cabinet and sole, I get a creaking sound in the aft section of the sole in the galley area, either when I step on it (and I'm not a big guy) or when sailing in rough conditions. I also noticed when adjusting the backstay tension that I can hear the cabin sole creak in this area, and then relax when the tension is off. It seems to be at the seam between the two aft sections of cabin sole. The rest of the boat is tight down below regardless of conditions.

I suppose it is possible that the bedding of the sole in this area is bad, or the underlying screws are loose, but it worries me a little none the less.

Any other experiences with a creaky cabin sole?

This also happens when she is in a rolly anchorage and rocking heavily laterally.

Thanks

Last edited: