I need a good source for a used but working outboard

hanareddy

Member II
I am down here in the Chesapeake with a poorly installed 30hp outboard and I'd like to replace it with a more manageable size. Cost is a factor, but so is getting a good working motor (so used before new). I am hoping someone has a good recommendation between Delaware and Annapolis. Craigslist has not been great so far. Thank you!

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Try to find a "Mom and Pop" outboard repair shop. We have a local one that's a good source for dependable used outboards as they service what they sell. Ask around.

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
I purchased it with a 10' dingy to use as a tender. Ended up going electric and am thinking of selling. It has very little use. I am located in Maryland.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
9.9 should do well. I had one on my E27 and never really needed to go past 1/2 throttle. My 9.9 Tohatsu (aka Mercury) had an electric start and an alternator. The two cylinders were great for motoring longer distances. It idled so smooth and quiet, a few times people would ask me if it was electric. Are you kidding? What a great dependable motor. I bought it new because getting stuck somewhere with motor problems isn't always cheep. And I am pretty good with working on motors.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The 8hp Yamaha on the dink for my 34 will push the 34 (13,000lb) up to almost 5 knots. A 2hp Honda pushes it to just over 3 knots in calm water. There is a big jump in outboard weight between 6hp and 8hp. The 8hp is a detuned 9.9. The benefits of the 9.9 aren't noticed until the top end of the power curve and I don't run my outboard that hard. The 8 turns the inflatable into a speed demon.

Really, the only reason for the 8 is to have a backup for the diesel should it fail for any reason. Murphy says it will fail at the worst possible time in the worst possible place eg. in the middle of a set of rapids. It gives peace of mind knowing there is a backup and I'm not at the mercy of the tide gods. Also, the dink becomes quite exciting with the 8 attached to it.

hanareddy

Member II
The 8hp Yamaha on the dink for my 34 will push the 34 (13,000lb) up to almost 5 knots. A 2hp Honda pushes it to just over 3 knots in calm water. There is a big jump in outboard weight between 6hp and 8hp. The 8hp is a detuned 9.9. The benefits of the 9.9 aren't noticed until the top end of the power curve and I don't run my outboard that hard. The 8 turns the inflatable into a speed demon.

Really, the only reason for the 8 is to have a backup for the diesel should it fail for any reason. Murphy says it will fail at the worst possible time in the worst possible place eg. in the middle of a set of rapids. It gives peace of mind knowing there is a backup and I'm not at the mercy of the tide gods. Also, the dink becomes quite exciting with the 8 attached to it.
This is useful. It makes me wonder if the 6hp that gc_sailor has will be enough to push my E29 out of my creek.

JLapp

I have the Yamaha 8HP high thrust model on my E27 and pushes me pretty close to hull speed, which validates the numbers I got from http://www.psychosnail.com/boatspeedcalculator.aspx

I use the Tohatsu 6hp Sail Model (xtra long shaft) on San Juan 21 and I never need to go above 1/2 throttle.

@supersailor I love that you've tested the 2hp Honda on the E34! I have one for the dingy, it's good to know it's been trialed on a much bigger boat than mine.