I noticed my windex quadrant has rotated.

Merchey

Im new to having and maintaining a sailboat. Ive been replacing lines on my boat since buying it this Sept. Most of my running rigging has been replaced now except halyards and my jib furling line. Today I was out sailing and noticed that the quadrant at the rear of my windex has rotated and not lined up with the stern of the boat.

I suppose I need to come up with a bosun chair and go up and tighten or replace my windex. Ive been thinking about upgrading various electronics as I have a fairly aged chart plotter from 03. Im kind of intimidated by complex wiring including wind instruments on top of the mast. I saw a wind gauge set that transmits bluetooth the iPad or Android Apps. It looks very interesting to me. Maybe another reason to have to get to the top of my mast.

Im not really sure where to look for professionals to assist me with this kind of thing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Being in Seattle, you should have some decent choices in vendors. We have only one, Rogers Marine, here in Portland, but they are honest and helpful.
Perhaps some of the other Seattle sailors can suggest some names.
The trick is to find someone who will listen to you, and can explain things well, and not just try to sell you whatever gizmo they have on the shelf.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
An alternative to a bosun's chair would be a rock climbing harness and some Texas prussiks. That's what mountain climbers use as a backup to ascend to ascend a rope. Probably a lot cheaper then a bosun's chair.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
to look for professionals

It's good to get to know a rigger. You can start by asking for a rig inspection, during which he'll adjust the windex for free.

Riggers do splices, install halyards, fix roller furlers, put on new shrouds, replace bulbs, fix wiring-- anything to do with lines and spars or a bosun's chair job. They know rigging issues much better than we do.

Best way to find one is just ask around the dock.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
May be even better to get comfortable in a well-rigged bosun's chair and do those little jobs for yourself.
I use an ATN mastclimber with a dedicated halyard myself, rock-climbing harness for safety. If I end up turning Arcturus into a flat out cruiser, I'd even consider mast steps. (Although I admire those 20-something guys who shinny up the mast like it was the climbing pole at the gym, I concede that I might start getting old some time after 60. Maybe 70. )

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
May be even better to get comfortable in a well-rigged bosun's chair and do those little jobs for yourself.
I use an ATN mastclimber with a dedicated halyard myself, rock-climbing harness for safety. If I end up turning Arcturus into a flat out cruiser, I'd even consider mast steps. (Although I admire those 20-something guys who shinny up the mast like it was the climbing pole at the gym, I concede that I might start getting old some time after 60. Maybe 70. )

I don't think I'm too old yet at 55, but I save climbing jobs for the rigger, I've never been a climber. He always offers his favorite choice for parts, but I am free to select what I want. He also has stopped me from spending money on new parts when he is happy with existing parts, halyard shackles for example.

http://www.sipalaspars.com

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Climbing the Mast

I've done this four times on my E36RH. I can honestly say it scared the crap out of me more each time I did it.

I'm not particularly afraid of heights. I actually like being up high.

I've done a little rock climbing and repelling in the past. I've gotten safety and climbing technique training from a certified climbing guide. I know enough to be safe but I still have a VERY strong fear of falling.

I'm also as cheap as the next guy and pulling my mast here in Annapolis is very expensive, around $900 (in/out) plus $9/day in the yard on saw horses.

I'd also MUCH prefer to do my own work so I get the job done the way I'd like.

With all that as background:

Do not discount the fear factor limiting you from getting up or working high up on the mast.

Be safe!
I always tie a Figure 8 knot to the halyards (no dependence on shackles or splices) for my harness and bosun's chair.
I use a climbing harness and second independent halyard through a clutch to a second winch and second person as a backup while being hauled up in the bosun's chair on another halyard.
I tie off with a sling when I get up to the work location.

I found it impossible to feel secure enough to work with both hands with my head above the masthead.

I never figured out how to get high enough ABOVE the mast top to accurately drill and tap holes. This will require two hands!

I finally conceded to common sense and pulled the mast for my above masthead work. I planned all my work for this event: add wind sensor, exchange failed LED masthead light with warranty replacement, check/align/tighten and Loctite Windex. I was also able to add a flag halyard to the upper spreaders, compound/polish and wax the spar and add drain to mast step with the mast down.

If the expense of pulling your mast or the cost of a local rigger is more reasonable, I would consider these options.

Of course, none of this applies to those lucky northern sailors who pull their masts each winter :devil::devil:.

Mark

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, my own rigging inspections have missed two critical issues in recent years.

In both cases they were hairline cracks in fittings that I missed on the bosun's chair, simply by not knowing what to look for.

Riggers these days take cell phone pictures up there and can show you what they see. A good one will feel responsible for your safety.

Something to consider if the mast stays up for years.

Even though I'm really good at breathing I don't interpret my own chest Xrays.

Emerald

This has been touched upon, but I'll say it explicitly. Never use the shackle on the end of a halyard to clip onto a bosun's chair. I've had shackles rip free under sail - can't imagine the horror if I had been in my chair. So, no matter how good that splice looks, tie something easy and reliable, like a bowline, to your chair. And as already said, a second halyard with a second person. I have a chair that has canvas that goes around 3 sides, a nice harness to hold you in, a solid board with padding for the seat, and pockets for tools and gear. Love it. Actually feel pretty secure in it and enjoy going up the mast. I do wear fingerless sailing gloves with the thought if I have to grab something in panic, I wont flay the skin off my palm and might be able to hold on. Yes, seeing the very top is just not happening unless you do a pull up at full hoist. I've done that. Not a great feeling, but possible. I was younger too. And a final thought, having gone up masts on literally a board with a rope through a hole on each side (YIKES!), and having gone up in chairs with a flexible bottom, I highly recommend a chair with wrap around canvas and a deep solid seat. My trip on the board was something I did as a teen, and once was enough. Going up in soft bottom seats may sound like you'll be snug in, but I found it uncomfortable and not as good a platform to work from as my chair with a solid seat. And final thought is if $150 bucks for a chair seems extravagant, all I can ask is what is your life worth? You don't get a second chance if it all goes wrong. Spend the money, get a good chair, take care of it, and you're set for a lifetime. I have a bird that seems to like my wind instruments more than any other boats. I have to go up again. My biggest challenge is finding two people who want to crank me up there - sitting in the chair is the easy part :rolleyes:

Teranodon

Member III
I don't think I'm too old yet at 55, but I save climbing jobs for the rigger....

I'm a dozen years further down the road, but I borrowed an ATN climber and went up a couple of months ago. Took me at least 30 thrilling minutes. Wanted to install a new wind instrument but failed: just couldn't get high enough. So I went back down to the first spreader and attached a block for a signal halyard. A few days later, some riggers came over from Anacortes for racing. One of them kicked off his shoes and literally ran up the mast in about fifteen seconds. On the way down, he did an inspection of the rig, so the money I paid him was well spent.

I really like the ATN gizmo. Plan to go up again in the spring to rig some lazyjacks.

<style type="text/css"></style><style type="text/css"></style>Climber.jpg