Inside /Outside track

EGregerson

Member III
I have an 87 E34 that has sail tracks on the toerail (outside) and near the cabin (inside); a dock mate has the same thing on his 87 E38. He has his genoa sheets on the inside (because that's how the previous owner had them) I have my genoa sheets on the outters (because that's how the PO had them) (also because I think they 'fit' better there). We notice that the Catalina's at the marina have a single track on the inside, while a hunter has a single track outside. So as Ericson owners, we believe we have it better because we have both; but it looks like there might be a discussion as to while outter is prreferable to inner; or vice versa. Of which to use in what set of conditions.

ps; i hope this is not a 60's "do whatever feels good" thing.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I believe the tracks are designed so larger genoas fly from the outer track and smaller genoas/jibs are set on the inner track.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have both and use both! The inside track is great for sailing close to the wind. the headsail can be pulled flatter and closer allowing me to sail closer to the wind than if I had the block on the toerail. Things change a bit once the wind moves to 90* or beam to and behind. Then the block on the toerail opens the headsail up and provides more power. So what to do? Generally I leave the sheets on the inner track. When I know I will be on course for a while that places the wind at 90*+ I have a second set of sheets with quick releases, snatch blocks, etc. to setup for that configuration. I occasionally race and then yes, the secondary sheets are waiting on deck.... The best thing is with both tracks you have options. Options are good. Experiment and do what works for you. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
What Rob said.

Also, those other boats probably have either inboard shrouds(with the inner track) or outboard shrouds(with the outer track).

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
My experience is with our boat that has a 155 Genoa, the outboard track is used when I have the full sail unfurled. If I use the inner track with the full 155, the sail is too big to flatten fully and the main sail back winds excessively. The inside track is used upwind when my Genoa is furled to a 130-100 size. In this configuration the pointing ability is greatly improved.

sleather

Sustaining Member
I believe the tracks are designed so larger genoas fly from the outer track and smaller genoas/jibs are set on the inner track.

The way it was descibed to me, was that the turning block should be @ ~15* off the centerline of the boat depending on the foot length of the jib. My 150% is aft, just above the rubrail. When I bought my reefable 100% I added an interior track forward that serves the 100% 75%(reefed) and the storm jib. The inner track was mounted such that it's a compromise while still following the lines of the foredeck.

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
With our 135 headsail we use both. As others have said, use the inner ones gernerally upwind, and the outers generally downwind. Optimally, we use our inners from about 100 degrees up, and the outers about 85 degrees down.

We've also found that on our boat we can use the inners without chafing the lifelines downwind with the whisker pole if we pop open the gate.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I just spent the weekend sailing and experimenting with inner and outer tracks. Sailing to and from Cuttyhunk from Narragansett Bay in near ideal wind conditions, 12-15kts on the beam. Simply moving the sheet from the inner track to the outer resulted in 0.3-0.4kts when sailing 90* from the wind. This was with a 130 Genoa, fairly low foot but not a decksweeper. It works on my E38....

For even more speed try putting the inflatable on the foredeck. I sailed one leg towing and one on the deck. Maybe 0.3-0.4kts difference in speed.

Screaming ride home, dink on deck and block on the rail. Superb sailing.

RT

EGregerson

Member III
thanks

for the help. Since i have a 135 genoa, I'll just leave it on the outers for now. I plan on configuring a hank-on from my old E28, into a backup/storm sail. I'll use that on the inners. It's amazing how few boats in the marina have 2 tracks. Essentially, the Ericsons. Catalinas, Pearsons, Irwins, Beneteau, Hunters mostly in the 28 - 34' range have either a single inner or single outer; 1 has an inner track with perforated metal toe rail for a (non adjustable ) block. And, it's nice to know that the dinghy is more of a drag off the stern.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
We have never really used out outer track much. On our 33 it is out on the toe rail. What I wonder is what is the best way to change between the two? If you are sailing close hauled, say on a port tack, and you bear off to a reach or a run, do you lead new sheets to the outside track? Alternately, I guess you could tack first, reposition the sheets outboard, then tack again. Is there any other technique I haven't thought of?

I sure like the tight sheeting angles we get on our inner track. It gives us a real upwind edge compared to many boats.:egrin:

Bob Robertson

Member III
I read a while ago that when sailing upwind the inside track will offer the best sail trim and the best speed at lower wind speeds. As the wind builds, and the boat becomes overpowered, moving to the outer track will provide some relief. If the wind continues to build reefing will, of course, eventually be necessary.

When changing to the outer or inner track I use a spare block and sheet. I used to use the sheet from the opposite side of the boat. That works too.

I position the block on the new track where I want it and run the sheet through the block and back along the bottom of the winch that is in use to the winch on the other side of the boat and take up the slack. Then I release the sheet previously in use, remove it from the winch and cleat it off. Then I release the sheet currently in use and move it back to the winch on the appropriate side of the boat and take up the slack.

Hope this makes sense.

Enjoy,
Bob

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Bob,

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. That way you keep the genoa "driving" the boat forward as you make the change. I wouldn't have thought to use the base of the winch to turn the sheet to the other side of the boat, even if it is just temporary. Very cool! Thanks.:0305_bigg

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Another trick to move the sheet from one track to another without tacking, depowering, etc:

Take length of line with a quick release or heavy hook on the end and attach to the clew of the Genoa, I like just clipping to one of the bowlines that secure the sheets there. Take the other end of the line and cleat it off to a toerail cleat with as little slack as possible. Now you can release the sheet and move it to its new location while your temporary line holds the Genoa in trim. Obviously there is a degree of risk here given you are effectively tying off the Genoa with no way of releasing it until the sheet is repositioned and re-tensioned. Once the newly repositioned sheet is tensioned the temporary line can be easily removed. Works for me in a pinch. RT

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Switching Tracks

We have some "midship" cleats on our outer track. In all but the heaviest of winds, we just cleat off the sheet there, take out the stopper knot, rerun the sheet, retie the stopper knot, and uncleat the sheet.