• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The brown rusty stuff is likely diesel fuel algae/bacteria sludge. You'll probably want to check the tank. I believe it grows as a result of water getting in the fuel.
As far as getting water in the fuel, this is probably as good a time as any to mention that changing the O-ring on the fuel fill cap is something one should put on the list of regular maintenance items.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
. Anyone know what the goopy rusty brown stuff is? I'm assuming it's bad. Very bad even.
Having just opened my tank for a leak repair that looks to be the goop I scraped and scrubbed from the bottom of the tank. I got about a quart of that nasty stuff in the end. My tank did not have a inspection port previously so I presume that was an accumulation of 37 years of zero cleaning. If your tank does not have an inspection port you may be able to remove the fuel level sensor and at least get a peak at the bottom of your tank.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, view through the fuel sensor port is useful. Members have had success with inexpensive borescope cameras for iPhone. Could relieve worries (all tanks have some degree of glop).

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
The ugly truth is if your seeing chunks in your filters you need to clean your tank. If you don't have port(s) you'll need to cut one or two in depending on baffle location(s) & Christian has a great blog on doing that. Not a pleasant lob but if you get a big enough chunk stuck if your fuel line it will full on stop fuel flowing.