• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

interior audio speakers

Andrew Means

Member III
Sometimes the equation of Time Spent Assessing the Job + Money Spent Buying Tools Required + Time Spent Learning the Requisite Skills + Time Spent Doing The Job + Time Spent Fixing Your Mistakes adds up to more than the money spent to have somebody who knows their stuff do it well.

In this case, installing a stereo system on our Ericson 27. We had a local boat yard (CSR Marine) install a stereo in our boat, and I can't begin to express how glad I am that we had somebody else do it. It's installed beautifully, with two all-weather cockpit speakers, nice clean wiring, etc.

With this part out of the way I'm tempted to try installing some speakers in the cabin myself, especially since the wooden panels inside seem the perfect spot for some 6x9's (or something, I haven't measured), and the only thing required is cutting a few holes and running speaker wire from the back of the stereo to the speakers themselves.

The question is, with the speakers inside the cabin, how important is it to get outdoor speakers, or does it really matter all that much? We don't have any leaks or anything, and the *vast* majority of sailing we do is out on Lake Union, in relatively calm weather. Honestly the speakers would probably be in more danger from a spilled martini than sea spray.

What do you think?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Andrew~ The most important part of a "marine" speaker is that the magnets are shielded. You can use any speakers inside, but keep them away from compasses and other nav equipment. Cheapo speakers cones are made out of paper that "suck" up H2O and get crackly sounding fast. Marine grade speakers really dont cost that much more $$.

Attachments

• boat pictures 111.jpg
    boat pictures 111.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 75

GMaurer

Member II
A good quality indoor speaker is fine. Mine are 8 years old and sound as good as day 1. Suggestion - get a compact sub-woofer to complement your set-up. Really brings out what small speaker can't.

Andrew Means

Member III
The compact subwoofer is a good idea, especially since we enjoy a good dance party, and a good dance party on a sailboat pretty much instantly becomes a great dance party.

My only concern with that is power draw - we have two marine batteries, and I wonder what kind of a draw we would be making on the batteries and how quickly we would drain them. What's your setup?

Andrew Means

Member III
Andrew~ The most important part of a "marine" speaker is that the magnets are shielded. You can use any speakers inside, but keep them away from compasses and other nav equipment. Cheapo speakers cones are made out of paper that "suck" up H2O and get crackly sounding fast. Marine grade speakers really dont cost that much more $$.

Good point - last thing I want is my compass to always be pointing towards the nearest speaker...

So with the interior speakers I was thinking of putting them on the same strip of wood that the port and starboard cabin lights are mounted to - offhand I don't know how much space there is between there and the hull, and if I'd have to get special low-profile speakers to fit in there or what.

TRMN8R

Member II
Plenty of depth there; that's where mine are, both aft, 4" coax Boston Acoustics, actually sound very good. Thought about putting a small sub somewhere to help with LF's. Speaker placement is aft, PS just over the galley storage shelf, SS next to the battery selector/combiner, so that I can hear the system when in the cockpit. Est depth at that point probably 3 inches min. Hope this helps!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My E38 came with a nice set of Boston Acoustics already installed. I want cockpit speakers too but have not gotten around to to. I don't like the idea of permanently mounted speakers in the cockpit so likely it will be a set with rail clamps, etc. so I can use them when needed. Heres a pic of the interior:

RT

Attachments

• eric2.jpg
    eric2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 70

Mindscape

Member III
Interior Speakers

I mounted Infinity TSS-SAT450 speakers at the same locations Rob did in his photo. The boat was prewired for speakers so it was pretty easy. I decided on these speakers because of size, but they do have both a tweeter and small woofer. The addition of a small sub woofer was great. I don't use it under sail , but when I have shore power or know I'll be running the engine for a while it's a great addition to the sound. These small Infinities sound pretty good and I liked their small size, they don't take up much space or cover up any useable space.

I also have cockpit speakers, marine box speakers mounted on the stern rail. I ran the wiring inside the stern pulpit railing and directly into the speaker boxes which are mounted with a SS ubolt and rubber bushing, all bolted into the interior of the speaker. Makes for a clean mount that has been ok sitting outside for 4 years now. The mount makes it hard for anyone to lift the speakers and totaly hides the wiring.

I'm pretty happy with this set up, good sound both in the cockpit and below, or both if desired.

Erich

Member II
I installed a pair of Bose marine speakers - I think they only make 1 type. They don't take up much space in the v-berth lockers and are quite efficient. They have the typical clean Bose sound and the base is pretty good with the front vented ports. Then again, people's taste in speakers vary greatly. They only came in white but a can of black plastic spraypaint works wonders. Enjoy!