Iphone/USB Charger run off 12V?

Andrew Means

Member III
Has anybody wired up a USB outlet for charging phones and whatnot off their main 12V circuit? USB is 5V, right? How would one go about doing that? Maybe a cigarette lighter adapter? How do you folks charge mobile devices without running a 120V/AC current?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I use a 12v adapter. A lot of the new portable inverters have USB charging ports in them now.

Blue Chip

Member III
We simply charge anything on the boat that has a charger that can be plugged into your car cigarette lighter by plugging it into the lighter on our boat that runs the TV set that came with the boat. So if your phone can be charged in you car, it can be charged in your boat the same way...or am I over simplifying again?:confused:

Andrew Means

Member III
We simply charge anything on the boat that has a charger that can be plugged into your car cigarette lighter by plugging it into the lighter on our boat that runs the TV set that came with the boat. So if your phone can be charged in you car, it can be charged in your boat the same way...or am I over simplifying again?:confused:

no, not at all - my boat just doesn't have a cigarette lighter : )

Glyn Judson

Charging your iPhone.

Dear friend, I too have an iPhone 4 that I bought the AT&T lighter charger cord for our boat (and one for the car too). On the boat it plugs into a nice looking Sea Dog receptacle as can be seen here: http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1984-power-socket-12-volt. Lo and behold, after having the AT&T cord assembly for six months or more, I happened to bump the socket and a door slid open revealing a USB female plug built right into the back shoulder of the socket, pretty cool. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA