Is there a starting battery on a 1971 E32? If so, I can't find it.

Chris Knudsen

Member II
I have a (new to me) 1971 E32. I am looking to get it into the water. I see the compartment for two batteries under a port side seat. I am assuming those are for the house batteries. Is there also a dedicated starting battery for this boat or does it just crank off the house batteries? Or, is there one house and one starting battery? If there is a separate battery in a different location where might it be? I have looked in all the places I can think of. Your help is greatly appreciated. I would like to get the motor running this weekend.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a (new to me) 1971 E32. I am looking to get it into the water. I see the compartment for two batteries under a port side seat. I am assuming those are for the house batteries. Is there also a dedicated starting battery for this boat or does it just crank off the house batteries? Or, is there one house and one starting battery? If there is a separate battery in a different location where might it be? I have looked in all the places I can think of. Your help is greatly appreciated. I would like to get the motor running this weekend.

Don't know about your exact model, but I can tell you that even in the late 80's Ericson was installing two batteries, stock, total.
The then-standard 1-2-all rotary switch would let the skipper choose how to power the boat for starting and house loads.

My '88 boat came with plastic boxes for two group 24 twelve volt batteries. Later we added a separate starting/emergency 12 volt battery under a quarter berth, and converted the stock battery location to hold two golf cart 6 volt batteries for a large 12 volt house bank.

You may end up creating a place for a new starting battery, somewhere, hopefully with some guidance from a lot of helpful E-32 owners lurking here.

Let us know how it goes.
Meanwhile, go sailing!
:egrin:

Regards,
Loren

Steve Wall

Member II
Thumbs up, Loren. My 32-2 is exactly as you described it.

Of course, with a boat this old, who knows what people have done with them, but I also have two batteries under the port berth just below the companionway. 1-All-2 switch is over near power panel on my boat. There is no separate starting battery.

My boat has a trickle charger that keeps them topped off while the 110 from the marina is plugged into the boat.

You may have to get the batteries tested. Also, I would make sure to clean the cables, for sure. If they are dead, of course they may or may not take a charge but from what I understand, their capacity will have been reduced.

I have a power boat on a trailer that I have been able to keep charged with two small solar panels. They are easy to plug back in after a day of boating and since I have been using them I have only had one battery go dead when I thought it was plugged in, but it wasn't.

Good Luck!

Steve A

Member II
I re-wired my boat and added a starting battery in the engine room aft of the galley. Glassed in a shelf with enough room for battery and spare oil/fuel filters.