Jacklines for E-38

u079721

Contributing Partner
My wife is overseas on a business assignment (Malaysia) for several months, meaning that I will be singlehanding on my North Channel cruise this summer. Which has got me thinking about safety a bit more than before. (Duh!)

I normally use side deck jacklines on my E-38 whever I leave the cockpit at night or offshore (like the middle of Lake Huron). But I haven't figured out how to rig jacklines with a short enough tether that I have enough slack to reach the boom to work on the main, and not have so much slack in the system that I couldn't fall over the rail if I tripped. This wasn't a problem with my wife aboard, but wouldn't help me much alone!

Any suggestions on how to rig a centerline jackline? How do you get to it from around the dodger? Other singlehanding suggestions?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You might want to consider one of the dual length tethers (3 and 6 foot) that are now required in offshore races. I used one on a trip to Bermuda (after the boom broke) to pick my way forward through the wreckage in big seas. I felt very secure since I was never unhooked. You could use the short tether to crawl forward (if you are on a six foot tether and go overboard, you will probably not be able to get back into the boat) until you can hook onto a strong point at the base of the mast with the long tether.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Here's a compendium of MOB horror stories that was just cited on the Yacht-List.

http://www.vicmaui.org/2000/resource_center_article_safety_lifesling_case_history.htm

Incidentally, I just returned from sailing trip to Iceland on a British boat - one of those Challenge boats that raced around the world with an amateur crew. The outfit was extremely safety conscious with jacklines in the cockpit as well as on deck. Moreover, we were never allowed on deck without our safety harnesses, which, unlike the the American variety, came with crotch straps, to keep them from pulling off. Because the water was 40 degrees, which would have put us into hypothermic shock in a little over four minutes, every effort was made to avoid a MOB situation.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Crewfit inflatable

Geoff's comment about the gear used on the British boat prompted me to mention the lifejackets that we use.

I wanted auto inflate life jackets w harness, but was unimpressed with the technolgy for sale here in America, since most of them are somewhat liable to premature inflation. I had read about the Hammar inflation system for sale in Britain, that uses a hydrostatic mechanism. It's basically the same as what is available here, except that the water soluble tablet is protected from moisture until the unit is submerged at least 8 inches or so underwater. They also only have to be serviced every five years, instead of every year.

I ended up buying Crewfit Plus Hammar with Harness lifejackets from www.mailspeedmarine.com for about 120 pounds each a couple of years ago. These have the superior hydrostatic mechanism, a strobe, crotch straps, a harness, a whistle, and a spray hood. The price has since gone up to 133 pounds, which is now about $240. So these are not cheap, but still good value (considering the additional features) compared with a comparable auto Sospenders w harness for about $180.

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/details.asp?CatID=46&MfrsID=677&QLID=CS-1060PLUS

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Jacklines

A common method is to use existing fittings that are bolted through the deck (the Traveller, etc) as an attachment point, or you could even install a few padeyes along the deck near centerline.

These are very secure and should work fine-I often use stanchion bases as I go forward (I should say WENT forward-I make the kids do it now!).
Sail safe