• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

La conner Washington to oak harbor Washington

Drewrt

Member I
Trying to get the boat into mortgage at Oak Harbor but the closest travel lift appears to be in the La Conner.
Has anyone made that trip? know of a closer lift? Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Thanks

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Hmmm... I don't know of a closer lift. What I do know is that I personally haaaaaate that narrow channel going into/out of La Conner from the south. It's bordered by rocks on the north side and shoals on the south, it gets crazy choppy in the prevailing westerly, and even more so if the current is running counter... and what I really don't like is that there are no "bail out" options - once you're in that channel you're kinda stuck for the duration. I tend to think of things in terms of "what's my plan if ___ happens?". Every time I go through that channel, I think "what's my plan if my motor decides to quit?".... and I haven't come up with a good answer yet, other than to avoid that route. Maybe that's just me.

If you do go that way, be sure to check tides/currents and wind forecasts to make the trip as easy as possible.

A possibly better alternative is Everett. Yes, about 10 miles further from Oak Harbor, but a much simpler trip, with a destination that has a good boat-yard, good choices of marine services, guest docks, decent restaurants and even hotels if needed. Oh, and two decent marine hardware stores (well, one good one, plus a West Marine).

$.02
Bruce

channel.PNG

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Hmmm... I don't know of a closer lift. What I do know is that I personally haaaaaate that narrow channel going into/out of La Conner from the south. It's bordered by rocks on the north side and shoals on the south, it gets crazy choppy in the prevailing westerly, and even more so if the current is running counter... and what I really don't like is that there are no "bail out" options - once you're in that channel you're kinda stuck for the duration. I tend to think of things in terms of "what's my plan if ___ happens?". Every time I go through that channel, I think "what's my plan if my motor decides to quit?".... and I haven't come up with a good answer yet, other than to avoid that route. Maybe that's just me.

If you do go that way, be sure to check tides/currents and wind forecasts to make the trip as easy as possible.

A possibly better alternative is Everett. Yes, about 10 miles further from Oak Harbor, but a much simpler trip, with a destination that has a good boat-yard, good choices of marine services, guest docks, decent restaurants and even hotels if needed. Oh, and two decent marine hardware stores (well, one good one, plus a West Marine).

$.02
Bruce

View attachment 46448
You may want to consider a 13ft ships oar or a Venetian Caorlina Stern oar. It can be used as a stern sweep to maintain heading or change course. Used from the Po River in the Veneto to the Salmon River in Idaho it might be what you need for emergencies. If Port Washington can't do it you could, maybe, piggy back on the occasional shipment from Venice to US Gondola companies.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Thx.

I know how to make my boat go without an engine. It's, like, practically a sailboat. :p

My point was that I like having options, and I don't like putting the boat in places where "if just one thing goes wrong" things can go really wrong.

That channel headed south out of LaConner is one of those places, for me...

B

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Saw two boats aground there as I went past on my way to Deception Pass last fall. Interesting to hear your insight, I was curious what was going on.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Thx.

I know how to make my boat go without an engine. It's, like, practically a sailboat. :p

My point was that I like having options, and I don't like putting the boat in places where "if just one thing goes wrong" things can go really wrong.

That channel headed south out of LaConner is one of those places, for me...

B
It's not about propulsion. It's about maintaining control of the vessel when the engine dies, there is no wind, and there is a strong current running. An oar would be a specialized tool for this location that allows you to steer the boat when your rudder won't. The oar blade has more surface area than a propeller and will shift the vessel any direction you want. Anywho...just don't want you aground.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's not abut propulsion after the engine dies? I thought you were kidding about sculling a 32-foot sailboat with a stern sweep in an emergency.....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's not abut propulsion after the engine dies? I thought you were kidding about sculling a 32-foot sailboat with a stern sweep in an emergency.....
I suppose you could build a "yuloh" but you'd have to find a place to store it on board the rest of the time.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Steeringoar.jpg

For steering and minor propulsion, absolutely, and I would venture that it could be effective in vessels up to 36ft.
But first, perhaps, google "Bepi, Tim, Sunset Gondola".

If my home port involved a narrow tidal channel that I had to regularly navigate then I wouldn't hesitate to use an oar and find a place for it like any other necessary equipment. In my simple drawing you can see the concept. It is possible spin a good sized vessel in a 360 if desired. You can also use the oar from the bow.

Though not apples to apples, the image below gives and Idea of the axis. A flat bottom gondola will spin rapidly (vessel and 6 passengers approx. 2500lbs) a larger vessel will move more slowly, but it will move.

When it comes to forward propulsion, as in nudging your boat in a desired direction in a narrow channel to avoid obstacles, yes, it can be done. I know that, on a calm day, I could move a 32ft sailboat and give it some momentum.

The surface area of an oar is much, much larger than a propeller and exerts force greater than one would think. "Giver me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it...".

I hope every one has a peaceful family filled weekend.

Bepi

.steering.jpgsteering 3.jpg

This link is a video of the use of steering oars on a long log raft navigating a mountain river.