• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lee Sails

northernardour

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a new Genoa for my Ericson27. I measured up with the Lee Sails distributor and before I buy,
I'm wondering what other member's think of their experience with these sails... their Quality and Pricing after purchasing this brand.
Thank's!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard the forum!

Any new sail is great. If you have local brand-name sailmakers, however, I'd get price quotes from them, too, so they get to compete. They'll do it by email. A relationship with a local sailmaker can come in handy, and it's good to get to know one.

Sailingfun

Member III
No experience with Lee. But would suggest Precision sails in Canada. Reliable, professional guys and a ton of data before you pull the trigger. I deal with them couple of years ago and the experience was very good, excellent.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
My go-to over the years has been Rolly Tasker, sails made at a state of the art loft in Thailand. I have bought multiple sails from their US dealer, National Sail Supply (www.nationalsail.com). Dirk, the owner, is a very professional and thorough guy. If you email him telling him you have an E27 and what you want, he will get back to you quickly. They list sails for all manner of Catalinas on the website, so you can get a good idea of what costs are for similar sized boats to yours (e.g. Catalina 27 main is $849, 135% genoa is $1029).

Practical sailor did a good article on them and others: https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/discount-options-for-sails

Just measure carefully :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a new Genoa for my Ericson27. I measured up with the Lee Sails distributor and before I buy,
I'm wondering what other member's think of their experience with these sails... their Quality and Pricing after purchasing this brand.
Thank's!
You might want to get a quote from the UK loft on the Island, also.
Our local Lee Sails rep has been a friend of mine for 20 years, and they provide a good solid dacron sail at a good price point.
He has stopped representing them due to some changes the loft was going thru, altho this was not about the quality of the product.
He took on Ballard Sails in Seattle.
We both knew and really liked the now-retired loft mgr Tim, @ UK Sidney.
I have sails from UK and also our local North loft.
Do your "due diligence" and get another quote or two, and I believe that if you go with Lee for a dacron sail, it will be a good product for the $ -- that said, I do not know your Lee rep. Further, you can get good "winter pricing" now from any loft. A plus is dealing with a local loft than can measure and also do the install and quickly repair any problems that arise after the sale.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I had a new tri radial mainsail and tri radial Genoa made at UK Sails in Sidney, and am very pleased with them. They are nice people to deal with and the quality was good. They are a bit more expensive than Precision sails in Langford, but I preferred the knowledge and experience at UK Sidney.
Frank

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My boat came with Lee Sails and so far they have performed perfectly well for me. That said, I'm a newish boat owner and I have little context to compare them with other brands. My sense is that you should expect a 20-30% discount for the same sail made with Lee vs. a US produced one.

I have a dacron main and jib and they are burly and more oriented to long-life than high performance.

$.02,

Tom

p.gazibara

Member III
I crossed the Pacific with a 22 year old North main. Even now the dacron still has life in it, though I can’t quite point like I used to, but still better than most cruising boats.

We maybe motored 30nm in the whole trip. So the main did quite a bit of work. All of this after the PO campaigned the boat in Bay and PNW for years before I got the boat.

If I could afford a new North sail, I’d probably go back to them.

-P