Little tiny inexpensive diesel fuel day tank

Sailingfun

Member III
I will move "Tototo" to Bethel Island next Saturday so I need to put the trustee Volvo engine back to work, among of replace oil and check everything before the trip.
But I'm not finished with the diesel tank replacement so I was thinking to install a little 6 gallons diesel tank as a day tank just for this trip.
I do not find any suitable commercial unit on my prince range. Does anybody know any cheap auxiliary diesel tank conversion?
The cheapest I found is the fuel cell for racing cars ($80), very small, convenient, and with all the plumber ready for the diesel but maybe somebody knows a better option.
I do not have time for another project, I'm looking for something kind of plug and play

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most any 6 gallon plastic fuel tank would do, but you you have to provide for a way to plumb in the return line.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I took the tiny fuel tank challenge over a year ago and love it. I took my 22gal alum tank out to clean it and install inspection ports. In the interim, I put in a 3 gal plastic tank so I wouldn't be out of commission over the sailing season. I didn't expect to still be using it this long, but it's been a huge help to have the tank out during electrical upgrades. On the 32-3, most of the big battery and ground cables run through the fuel tank compartment, and aren't accessible there with the tank in place.

I started with a standard 3 gal tank (about $50), drilled and tapped two 1/8" NPT fittings in the housing, and added vent and return lines. The vent line is plumbed into the built-in vent on the stern, so there are no fumes.

20190602_192848.jpg

I like the 3 gal size because it fits snugly under the compartment wall lip, and I can still put the bunk-boards in place over the top of it. Due to hull curvature, a tank much wider won't sit level in that compartment. I don't remove the tank because of the threaded fittings, but fill it in place with a 5 gal jug. 3+5 gallons gives me about 15 hours of run time.

20190525_151050.jpg

I didn't care for the inherited wiring setup of a HOT battery cable draped over the aluminum fuel tank.

20170322_183114.jpg 20200229_201738.jpg Unsecured battery cables in fuel tank compartment.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
C'mon Ken, that wiring has been that way for 30 years with no problems, what's to worry about? :egrin:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
C'mon Ken, that wiring has been that way for 30 years with no problems, what's to worry about? :egrin:
Yeah, what the hell, right? What's the worst that could happen? Maybe I'll peel off the California Proposition 65 warning placard while I'm at it.

Sailingfun

Member III
Yeah, what the hell, right? What's the worst that could happen? Maybe I'll peel off the California Proposition 65 warning placard while I'm at it.
..Chuck Norris can peel those wire with his teets, cut it and make pasta later... real mens does not worry for few battery wires running over an aluminium gas tank... :D :D