Looking at Ericson 35-2...

garryh

Member III
UNLESS... you just ignore the important excruciating stuff and just attend to the superficial glossy stuff, make it functional and comfortable until it cannot be used safely anymore, then throw it away and buy another

Bandykins

Member II
UNLESS... you just ignore the important excruciating stuff and just attend to the superficial glossy stuff, make it functional and comfortable until it cannot be used safely anymore, then throw it away and buy another
Lol... yeah, wasn't planning on it.

garryh

Member III
you would be immensely fortunate if you buy an old boat that does nort need at least SOME structural work... decks, bulkheads, stringers... just is.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The rule of threes applies to old boats: every boat job takes 3x longer than you think, costs 3x as much as you think, and results in 3 entirely new jobs you hadn’t thought of originally. Each of those three jobs takes 3x longer 3x more etc, etc ad infinitum.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The rule of threes applies to old boats: every boat job takes 3x longer than you think, costs 3x as much as you think, and results in 3 entirely new jobs you hadn’t thought of originally. Each of those three jobs takes 3x longer 3x more etc, etc ad infinitum.
So True, and moreover "old" means any boat over about 20 years. The good news is that Ericsons, out of a smaller group of upper echelon boats, are well built and worth maintaining and restoring.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Oh man... @1911tex 2100 hrs!?! I'm not retired and my house is also needy :)

that's like 260 full 8hr work days... want to sell it? :cool:
I think you are on the mark! Martin King is correct. I generally am at the boat at 0730 and leave at 1900hrs. I don't stop except for a lot of Gateraid. 3 week days a week rain or shine. Weekends are for sailing, weather permitting. It's my work, play, occupation, mental therapy, whatever you want to call it...yes retired if that means anything. I am also anal...so may redo things. Yes, I overdo it says my wife and family but it keeps me going full tilt. I've flown for occupation in law enforcement and restored airplanes because I loved to. Now its my Ericson.

Bandykins: You will never work like this on your boat...young, family, vocation. No not for sale...until the undertaker calls, along with all my 50 year collection of valuable useless classic firearms...which the kiddos care less about. When I kick the bucket...my loving wife says she will sell all to the first person who calls and makes an offer. Nothing I like doing better other than being with my loved ones...who by the way work full time so that's when I do my thing.

Bandykins

Member II
I think you are on the mark! Martin King is correct. I generally am at the boat at 0730 and leave at 1900hrs. I don't stop except for a lot of Gateraid. 3 week days a week rain or shine. Weekends are for sailing, weather permitting. It's my work, play, occupation, mental therapy, whatever you want to call it...yes retired if that means anything. I am also anal...so may redo things. Yes, I overdo it says my wife and family but it keeps me going full tilt. I've flown for occupation in law enforcement and restored airplanes because I loved to. Now its my Ericson.

Bandykins: You will never work like this on your boat...young, family, vocation. No not for sale...until the undertaker calls, along with all my 50 year collection of valuable useless classic firearms...which the kiddos care less about. When I kick the bucket...my loving wife says she will sell all to the first person who calls and makes an offer. Nothing I like doing better other than being with my loved ones...who by the way work full time so that's when I do my thing.

Love it! I aspire to do similar one day. What coast are you on? TX I assume...

patrscoe

Member III
I raced and sailed a Ranger 22 a few years back or so. Mine was a little tender and build quality was, alright, not anything i remember that stood out. Many of the Rangers are not fitted out well. I don't know much about the 33 compared to the 22 but it is a Gary Mull design, which was a good designer. Really a different sailboat between Ranger 33 and Ericson 35-2.

Tarrymore

Member I
I'll comment since I shoot pictures for a living. What you are seeing is called keystoning in my trade. The viewpoint is elevated and the camera is tipped down, forcing the verticals to splay outward. If it's shot with a wide angle, the effect is even more pronounced. Notice the mast in the boat behind the 35. In my work (architectural photography), great pains are taken to make sure the camera is dead plumb to avoid having to fix situations in post like the above. Below the image has had some perspective correction applied.

View attachment 35029
..fellow architectural photographer here, can confirm. ha! It's nearly impossible to use a long focal length lens shooting boats in marinas or close quarters!

patrscoe

Member III
I second the costs and time of during projects and tasks, and additional projects that they tend to create. I just installed a new autoplilot, which lead to adding a 2nd small elec panel, then I said while, I should install a new voltage load reader so I know how much the autopilot is using, and then said, while, maybe I should connect my depth to the new Seatalk network so I got a new depth head.... I crossed of one major item on my list and added 3 more.

Bandykins

Member II
I second the costs and time of during projects and tasks, and additional projects that they tend to create. I just installed a new autoplilot, which lead to adding a 2nd small elec panel, then I said while, I should install a new voltage load reader so I know how much the autopilot is using, and then said, while, maybe I should connect my depth to the new Seatalk network so I got a new depth head.... I crossed of one major item on my list and added 3 more.
I'm very familiar with this from owning old range rovers and an older house :cool: ... it's give a mouse a cookie... just changing head gaskets.. might as well do a cam, lifters, and timing chain