Looking for an Ericson in SF

Matey

Member III
I'm new to what looks like a great forum .. I'm looking for an older Ericson 27' to 32' in the SF Bay Area. I'ts a move up from one of those boats that start with C.
I've re-fit numerous other boats, so something well found but in need of TLC and updates would be fine. A 32-II is my dream. But with kids in College I'll look at any good boat priced well from 27' up.
Plans are to keep it in the Delta (closer to home) for a season to fit out, then have her down on the Bay.
I grew up sailing the South Bay and have kept at it these last 40 years. Currently race OD in Berkeley Mid-Winters and cruise on a friend's E38 out of Pier 39.
Besides the Ericson's reputation, an owner's group like this is invaluable. Fine work !

I'm keeping a close eye on Latitude 38, Yachtworld, Sailboatlistings.com and Craigslist as well

Regards, Greg :egrin:
gregrohde@gmail.com

Matey

Member III
Marotta's E32

Thanks for the heads up. I called on it yesterday and was told it is in contract, I asked them to let me know if the deal falls apart. I'm in process of selling my other boat that's really clean, re-fit with 5 bags of sails that hopefully will go quick.. so I'm not rushed

thanks again, Greg

Matey

Member III
Loren,

It looks very nice .. I'd seen it too. It's out of my reasonable budget though.

Regards, Greg

ChrisS

Member III
There was a '32 over at Treasure Island listed on Craigslist for $12K and then $9K a while back. I almost went over to see it out of curiosity.

That 30' looks like a nice boat, but it's been sitting for a while, so it may not be priced to sell.

Good luck on you search. I like my 32-2, and plan on keeping it for a while. A fixer sistership just sold in my basin. I don't know the price, but the new buyer told me that the PO is the original owner, and that he sailed in to Hawaii and back in the 80s. To be a fly on the bulkhead--if only boats could talk.

And this 32-2 just on: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/847222665.html

Last edited:

west

Member I
Hi

I am the one who bought the 32 mk 3 at Morotta Yacths. I think it was a good buy. I have been sailing her for 3 months now. Good luck in your hunt!
Ron

Matey

Member III
Boat search update

Well .. I found a nice 32-2 I'm now in contract on. The engine survey and test sail went well. Now if the PO can straighten out the removal of a lienholder he says he's paid off, we'll move on to a survey.
She's an old girl .. a 72', but from my hours looking things over, the records and pictures aboard seems well loved her first 26 years. These last 10 I think shes been a marina queen. Over $10K was invested in the last year to prep for sale, but in looking at the posts here related to the 32's issues .. she'll need many of them tended to yet. I have some $ and lots of time in the plan.

Chris has been really helpful off-list and I'll thank him again here !

If the deal goes down, I'll be searching the forum's posts and will certainly be needing advise.

Regards, Greg

Matey

Member III
The new boat deal's done

Monday I signed on the line. I'll be getting my new to me 75' E32 ready for a week or two in Alameda before moving to the Sacramento Delta to hunker down to projects for the winter. I hope to move back out to SF Bay within the year .. we'll see. Lots of tlc is needed

I'll look forward to & appreciate all your help

Regards, Greg :egrin:
E32-255
Sirena
http://e32sirena.blogspot.com/2008/09/1969-e32.html

west

Member I
Hey Matey,
Where in the delta will you keep her. I live in the Sac area but keep my 32 mk III in sausalito. Good luck with your new boat!
West

Matey

Member III
Owl Harbor

West,

I'll be at Owl Harbor in Isleton for awhile. It's cheap, I have friend's there, the Harbormaster does canvas and might let me use his shop and it's an hour closer to home.

Regards, Greg

Randypa28

Owl Harbor

Hey Matey,
Congrats on Sirena, she looks like a great find. I've been searching for the same but unable to pull the trigger. Lucky for me I've been able to sail on a friends boat who happens to be in Owl Harbor as well, so maybe I'll run into you. Congrats again,
Randy

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey Matey,
Congrats on Sirena, she looks like a great find. I've been searching for the same but unable to pull the trigger. Lucky for me I've been able to sail on a friends boat who happens to be in Owl Harbor as well, so maybe I'll run into you. Congrats again,
Randy

What size range? Gas or diesel? Budget?????
:cool:

Loren

Randypa28

Loren,
I probably should have said "lurking" as opposed to "searching". Right now anything that floats is just not in the cards, but when the time comes I've narrowed it down to 27'-32' Ericson, deisel that's in the $10K - $15K. I'm thinking that shouldl net me a moderately clean boat to sail in the Delta or longer trips to the bay. For now, I'll just have to keep lurking.
Randy

ChrisS

Member III
Now is a time for a great deal...

Boats are coming down in price right now; in fact, the SF Chronicle recently had a piece on abandoned boats in the Bay and Delta. The article's main point was that when cash gets tight, people can't afford to berth and maintain boats.

The prices I have seen recently are low. For example, there is a Wylie design on Craigslist today, outfitted for long distance cruising--windvane, radar, EPIRB, etc.--for $11K. The ones that are listed for 2006 (when I bought my Ericson) prices keep getting reposted.

Lots of choices out there--have fun looking.

bill911s

Greg,

I have a friend who owns a 30+ and is in the process of purchasing a larger boat! He'll be selling soon! Boat is in Marina Village - Alameda. He's out of town now but I'll forward your posting when he returns in a week or so.

Regards,

bill911s@yahoo.com