Loose footed vs. bolt rope mains...

Don Sparks

Loren,
I'm about to buy a new main and I'm looking for opinions on loose footed vs bolt rope style. My Newport 28 currently has a bolt rope on the boom but North Sails now uses loose footed. You sail here on the river and I think you cruise and race. I really just daysail or cruise. Your thoughts?

Off topic: It was good to see you Sun at RCYC. 'Would love to talk more if you're will to share your email.

Don Sparks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Foot options

Don,
I moved your post to a new thread since it is a new topic.
I went with a loose foot on my new main, over 5 years ago.
It makes it easier to rig the reef lines, since we had cut slots in the foot of the main on the prior boat for that very reason.
Since a modern "shelf foot" does not support the bottom of the main in any way (and hasn't done so in over 20 years) I could not see any reason to keep the foot-slug / bolt rope system.
Our sail builder, UK, also was a strong believer in the loose foot.

And, welcome to the Ericson group. It's been a loooooong time since we were both active in the Ranger 20 one design fleet!
:)

Loren
ps: just click on my name and one of the options on the list is to send me an email.

Last edited:

BrianP

Member II
THe way it was explained to me is that with a loose foot you have only 2 stress points that are reinforced as to many diff spots that are not that can distort fabric weave over time. I personally like the loose foot on my e-27 seems easier to trim than being locked in much easier to adjust outhaul too. I know I read an article awhile ago on this but most of it escapes my mind at this time.