Loose Spreader, Cracked Bracket

Hawaii Sailor

E27, Kaneohe, Hawaii
tempImageSF0pNt.jpg

One of my spreads is a bit loose on my 1974 E27. The aluminum cast has a small crack in it, so it must be the culprit. I've read a bunch of threads not recommending welding it. That's what I initially thought would work best. I'm looking for options without breaking my bank account. I'm in Hawaii with limited options. Thanks !

Stuphoto

Member III
Even if you can find someone to fix it, the problem with welding a repair like that is it will usually crack right beside the repair.
With that in mind the best thing is look for a used one.

If I was to make an emergency repair, I may try making up a plate and sandwiching it. However I wouldn't expect it to last long especially when the electrolytes starts.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are some past threads that will help you plan a repair.
Here is just one-

Either search with the site search engine or use Google.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Bummer! I had exactly the same issue. You might consider new spreaders and a spreader bar. Contact Ballenger Spars (.https://ballengerspars.com/). See here for details. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e27-broken-spreader-bracket.8979/page-2.

Cost in 2010 was $575 and you'll have to drop the mast.

The confounding factor is that seam. Looks like the mast was repaired with a sleeve riveted in some time in the past. Send some pics to Ballengers and discuss options.

Good luck with the project.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I wonder if movement between the two segments of the sleeved mast may have contributed to the crack(?) since the spreader base spans the sleeve point. You might be able to get a machine shop to make new bases in stainless, which would tolerate some flexing there compared to forged aluminum.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if movement between the two segments of the sleeved mast may have contributed to the crack(?) since the spreader base spans the sleeve point. You might be able to get a machine shop to make new bases in stainless, which would tolerate some flexing there compared to forged aluminum.
I would also suggest going with an SS replacement combo reinforcement and base weldment. Just insulate it from contact with the spar.
Buzz Ballanger could probably make one up from past plans, for similar boats.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I am not so certain that this part is forged aluminum. I believe it is cast (big difference). So a machined aluminum replacement should work just fine. I don't see where the crack in located in the photo but I do know from personal experience with my E27, that snagging that shroud (the wire rope) on something stationary when leaving the dock motoring can result in a twist at the bracket causing it to crack or break.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Long time friend at our club with an Ericson 38 lost his mast just above the top spreaders last week while racing.

A pin apparently came out of a lower right before a tack and the mast cracked/snapped all the way across above the spreaders. Said it sounded like a rifle shot! Luckily no injuries and he’s even already located another mast.

2E2D9D05-4F66-454E-AEAE-20F55C1BFB57.jpeg

Obvious moral of the story is to carefully seasonally (pre-launch) inspect your rig thoroughly and don’t skimp on repairs or replacing worn or old parts. A simple lost or broken pin can quickly turn into a VERY costly situation.