Lots of Water in Gasoline

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi all,
This weekend I sent my son to the marina to get a couple gallons of gas to top off my E-29 (Atomic 4) gas tank while gas was cheap. He grabbed a 2 gallon plastic gas container that he thought had a couple of inches of gas already in it, filled it up and we funneled it into the tank. After motoring out of the marina, the engine abruptly stopped and refused to restart. By now I suspected bad gas or water in the gas can. Indeed my son now remembers using the can for some other purposes (ie water transport). Sooooo after sailing back into the dock (I was shooting for the slip--but just sailing in there (rather than motoring) was scary enough, that I consider "close to dock" a victory), I drained a few gallons of bad gas out of the tank, at the turn off valve behind the A-4. I know that I now need to 1) finish emptying the tank, 2) empty the sediment bowl and 3) drain the carburator. But what is the next step?

Do I flush the gas tank with a gallon or two of "good gas"? How do I dispose of "rinse gas". Should I use "HEET" or IsoHEET to remove any remaining moisture? (IsoHEET claims to absorb 5X more water than HEET). Any advise would be appreciated.

Additionally, I just read in the current issue of "Practical Sailor" about the concerns and fears of ethanol laced gasoline, particularly about phase separation and marine applications. Is this a real problem--or has this article "over-thought" the problem. I'm concerned that most automobile gas pumps now claim that their fuel may contain "up to 10% ethanol"--but asking the attendent gets you nowhere as to whether it really does or does not. I just hate to pay $4 gallon gas at the marina, when it is $2 at the pump.

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Gary
Hydrophilic 1977 E-29 Hull 515

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Drain the tank the best you can, use a fuel drier additive like Heat or any water remover in the tank with the remaining gas. As for the gas you remove if you let it settle and siphon off above the water line and then let that resettle and pour off all but a little of the bottom you can save the gas by separating out the water. The gas is not bad and the water settles to the bottom leaving clean gas and the trash is in the water at the bottom

You might check the O ring on the filler plate cap if it is bad or the wrong size it will let water in as rain water runs over the cap. In your case The water was probably from the gas can.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I don't know your fuel tank setup, but you need to somehow get the fuel/water out of your tank thats BELOW your pickup tube, which is probably at least a half inch off the bottom of the tank. On our old 32 we would occasionally stick a hose through the fill into the bottom of the tank with an outboard hand fuelpump (whatever they are actually called) and suck up the bottom gallon or so of gunk and give it to the local disposal center.

CaptDan

Member III
Hi all,
Additionally, I just read in the current issue of "Practical Sailor" about the concerns and fears of ethanol laced gasoline, particularly about phase separation and marine applications. Is this a real problem--or has this article "over-thought" the problem.

Gary
Hydrophilic 1977 E-29 Hull 515

I'll probably get some heat for saying this, but I have to chuckle over the contradiction in terms of 'Practical Sailor.' :egrin:

In any event, I've been trying to get to the bottom of this story myself, and it seems the problem with ethanol is its alleged tendency to destroy plastic fuel tanks. So, if you have a steel or aluminum tank, you shouldn't have much to worry about (except for the usual problems steel is heir to.)

The venerable A4 has withstood all manner of punishment - from lead free fuels, inaccessible placement, and attack from saltwater and salty POs. And yet, after 60 years, it's still here. Miraculously, (and with the assistance of a few commercial aficianados), the abuse of age and chemistry hasn't halted thousands of these beasts from 'serving at the pleasure of their owners.'

So unless somebody has better info to the contrary (highly likely), water's probably the only thing the A4 won't drink. :nerd:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The A4 is pretty buletproof. I had a dock monkey fill my 1/4full tank with Diesel and I was able to run the engine. I had to keep the choke engaged but it did run.

The water treatments simply break the water into small particles that can pass though the engine with the gasoline. I would try and remove as much as possible from the bottom of the tank as others have stated. I removed the Monel tank from my Pearson a few years back and cleaned the inside with kerosene. The outside looked pretty grungy but the inside sparkled. This was a 30 year old tank.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
another story

CaptDan

Practical Sailor has saved me money for years. The price went so high on their rag I started saving the money I had spent on it in the past.

Great articles favoring companies that buy issues of PS to give away and to claim they were reported best by PS. Is this not a form of paid advertising

CaptDan

Member III
CaptDan

Practical Sailor has saved me money for years. The price went so high on their rag I started saving the money I had spent on it in the past.

Great articles favoring companies that buy issues of PS to give away and to claim they were reported best by PS. Is this not a form of paid advertising

:egrin:

P.S. supposedly began as a 'practical' ameliorative to the sailing industry's vested commercial interest. I read several of their articles before buying my first boat, and was regaled by economic wake up calls such as:

"..and don't forget to add the expense of fuel for driving to and from the marina. Even small flights of fiscal fancy shouldn't be ignored in the price of boat ownership.."

Sage advice. But, PS is a commercial publication; a business. It survives on readership and subscriptions, a reality that tends to serve at cross purposes to their fundamental intent.

YMMV.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"