M40 starter removal

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Has anyone removed and replaced the starter motor on the Universal M40 on a mid-80s E381?

Engine access on my '84model is not great.

The starter in particular appears entirely enclosed by rather solid cabinetry.

McGinnis

Member II
Re: Starter removal

It's not easy.

I've replaced the started on our boat a few times on our E38.

The best way I found to do it was from the front of the engine with long socket extensions from Harbor Freight.

Also, if you haven't found out already: The Kubota L285 is the "same" engine/block and it's cheaper and easier to get tractor parts than "Marine Engine" parts.

Best of luck!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah yes, the long socket extension solution. Well, glad to know it can be done from the front. It was a bear on the E32-3 too.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If that model is anything like the starter location on my M25XP, you might be working right behind the alternator, using two wobblers, to get at the top bolt on the starter. Tight fit. Some therapeutic swearing will help.

Disconnect all 12 power to the alternator, starter, and ?.
You do not want to inadvertently short the socket wrench handle on a hot point.

Our starter was a bit tedious to get in and out when I took removed it off for a p.m. rebuild. Not much access on that side of the engine in our boat.

Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ancient slang

Good tip. I may have to remove the alternator.

I Googled "wobbler", no joy. Another word for some kinda articulated extension? Must be, no?

I did find a little more here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?4824-E-38-Starter-removal

Google did not (immediately) show that old term for a universal joint adapter either -- but that's what mechanics called it when I was a kid.
Oh well. :rolleyes:
I also recall that it took one or two of those U joints and an extension or two. (?) I was combining parts from my 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive sets.

Loren

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Google did not (immediately) show that old term for a universal joint adapter either -- but that's what mechanics called it when I was a kid.
Oh well. :rolleyes:
I also recall that it took one or two of those U joints and an extension or two. (?) I was combining parts from my 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive sets.

Loren
"wobble socket extension" turns up good google results. I was introduced to these in the Navy, that was an epiphany.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We were first introduced to these as they were the only way to change the spark plug on a Yamaha WR426 without removing the gas tank. :0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 180

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
U-Joint Socket Adapter

Search that. Plenty of results. I have those in my tool box as well as "wobble" extensions. That still doesn't preclude me from sometimes having to field modify a tool to fit the intended usage. Never found "crows feet" very helpful.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I feel your pain. I've been trying to remove the starter from a E36 BMW for more than a week now. As each potential solution fails, I have to send away for another tool. (The fasteners are external torx, which is too exotic for our BFE retailers to have ever heard of.) The only consolation is that the Amazon review suggests that the most recently ordered tool is the exact thing needed for the starter of my other vehicle.

Or the Internet suggests the possibility of jacking up the car, removing part of the suspension, and using two wobblers and about three feet of extensions... Which would probably take me about as much time as waiting for this holy grail tool to arrive.

I've got so much of the engine removed at this point that I might as well do a pre-emptive head gasket change.

bolbmw

Member III
Getting the starter out of my 5416 on a 30+ was a bit of a saga. Getting the bolts loose wasn't an issue (2' long socket extension and a mix of other extensions made it easy) but I couldn't get the starter out without disconnecting the lower coolant lines, so it was an excuse to flush the system. It still was a tight fit to get it out.

Interestingly the replacement starter I got from spider marine has a shorter body, which made getting it back in much easier.