Mahogany Cabinet Doors

larossa

Member II
Would anyone know where I can get mahogany cabinet doors built/replaced? Two of my doors in the galley are damaged beyond repair and I would like to replace them. Any help would greatly be appreciated, all I can find are teak cabinet doors.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In Portland OR, we have two boating second-hand stores that often have mahog. cabinet parts consigned from owners who have done remodeling projects. Price is usually reasonable and negotiable. So many boats have been "modernized" by having their interiors redone in teak... mahogany is viewed as kinda old fashioned by some boaters.
If you are in are near any large seaport city, there should be stores like that to search around in. I know of at least two in Seattle, as well.
Happy hunting,
Loren

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
You could also look for a custom furnituremaker in your area. I design and build custom furniture, and I use mahogany more than any other wood because of the periods I work in.

Certainly not as cheap as if you can find used ones on consignment, but I'd estimate you'd spend about a hundred dollars a door for solid mahogany, with mortise and tenon construction (plus/minus 50%). In my opinion not worth working with someone who makes "cope-and-stick" style cabinet doors, as is common with kitchen cabinet-makers. They just don't last more than a few years under rigorous use. You definitely want to specify Mortise and tenons if you're going the custom route.

Nate

larossa

Member II
evm said:
What size? I have a few doors that I don't need from my ericson.

--Ethan
The two doors that were damaged beyond repair are 8 7/8 x 15 1/2. I can work with doors that are close to those dimensions. Let me know if you have some doors that are of that size or close and how much you would like for them. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

Guy Stevens

JIg Still Set up

I Just did a few of doors for my 1972 Ericson 46 for a few of the cabinets. The new ones look identical to the originals.

The Jig is still set up in the shop as I finished some of them yesterday, if you would like new ones let me know and I could work up a price for you.

Guy
:)

Art Mullinax

Member III
Mahogany woods

I made a small table for my E29 that is attached to the side of the cabinet where the counter top is. Its used as a small fold up table when I'm dining alone. My question is concerning the different types of mahogany. I used a "Phillipine" mahogany and it's a different color than the rest of the interior. When you (Guy) made the replacement doors, did you use a Phillipine or Honduran mahogany?
Art M.
E29 #53

Guy Stevens

Honduran

The issue is using Luan (sp?), which is reffered to as Philipene(sp?) mahogny, but is actualy not mahogany at all. However it is a lot cheaper than the real thing. When doing finish work I use real Mahogny on the Ericsons that have Mahogny. It is harder to work with and costs more, but it sure looks nice.

My boat an Ericson 46 is all Oak, so the last set of doors were solid White Oak.

Guy
:)

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
South American Mahogany (Swietenia genus) is the traditional furniture-grade mahogany, and is the original and highest quality wood of all those now called "mahogany".

The fairly closely related African Mahogany (Khaya genus) is often used in boat construction and marine plywood (from what I've seen recently) and can be recognized by it's longer more-open grain compared to SA mahogany. It's not as hard as Swietenia, but still a quality hardwood.

Another genus of African woods sometimes also referred to as "mahogany" is the Entandrophragma genus. That includes a wider variety of woods including some spectacular species such as Sapele which has a broad ribbon-striped figure, along with others which are less notable. I've seen sapele plywood on a couple boats I've been on.

As Guy says, the biggest abuse of the name "mahogany" is when it is used for Luan "phillipine mahogany", as Luan is not at all related to the others listed above.

Personally I think SA mahogany is nearly the easiest of any furniture wood to work with. Certainly more forgiving than the domestic hardwoods like cherry, maple, birch, walnut. The african mahoganies are a bit more varied, some easily workable, others less so.

Nate

evm

Member II
THe 2 doors I have are about 10 by 15. I'll get a better measurment and send a picture tonight. They are original Ericson doors and are in good condition. They could be dissasembled and cut to size to fit your application.

Price? Tough. I was offered $50 once for them when I thought that I needed them. But who knows what I would take now.

--Ethan