• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main table tightening knob

yalcin

I think we have a missing knob in our main table, I was wondering what the missing piece looks like and if we can source or make it.

The top wobbles and rotates freely, the bottom knob and the fitting is solid. The brand sticker says Zwaardvis but it doesn't look like the current models.

IMG_20201206_110352.jpg
IMG_20201106_170852.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My 381 has a fitting at each end, to be tightened by the stainless lever.

E381 table ..JPG

The 32-3 had Zwardviss gear. I recall drilling a hole through the tubes to stop the rotation. I bought a new base, readily available on the Internet.

Thelonious new table base.JPG

It does look like your table is missing something at the tube top. I'd probably send the picture to Zwardviss asking for the answer. Or perhaps you can drill a hole for a through- bolt.

cruis-n

Member II
Stopped by the boat this morning and took this photo of the underside of the cabin tabletop.
00001-IMG_2377.jpg

HTH
Paul

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What happens if you tighten the bolt? Sure looks like a clamp of some sort, maybe with a cam involved?

Gotta be a simple answer out there somewhere.

(My simple answer involves drilling holes for anchor screws or a through-bolt, just because our tables get whacked and shoved frequently and an adjustable mechanism finds that hard to deal with. Mostly, "adjustable" is just for turning the banquette into a double berth)

eknebel

Member III
I think Christian is right, try to gently tighten to see if it has a effect. That assembly is there for a reason, likely hiding a cone nut or cam. Maybe an off the shelf shim or washer will compensate for wear, perhaps it is the table post that is deformed. My post is deformed, as well as the base and top clamps, so it wiggles a little(my model is like Christian's 381 beige one) . If you can't get factory support from Zwaardvis, or other source, take pictures as you disassemble it, so you don't have to guess multiple times how it goes back together, a lesson I often relearn from time to time.

jtsai

Member III
Mine still has the overly-engineered OEM table knob. It is identical in shape to the pedestal post height adjustment knob. As you tighten the knob (clockwise), it pushes another over-engineered metal level plate inward against the post preventing the table from rotating. It does not work terribly well unless really cranks down on the knob. I will take a picture next trip.

You probably noticed the table is off center with respect to the pedestal post. Rotate one way to reduce amount sticking out into the walkway, rotate another way to accommodate settee sitting room.

jtsai

Member III
Yalcin, here are couple pictures of the Zwaardvis table knob, not sure if it is identical design as yours. By tighten the knob, the finger shaped piece slides down the slope and pressing against table post. Like I said, over-engineered.

Attachments

• Ericson table knob_2.jpg
    Ericson table knob_2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 21
  • Ericson table knob_1.jpg
    Ericson table knob_1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Ericson table knob_3.jpg
    Ericson table knob_3.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 21

jtsai

Member III
I am struggling to tighten the knob at the saloon table base so the table stays at a fixed height. It seems the friction exerted by the knob's SS bolt to the sliding tube is the only force holding up the assembly. That is just not enough, what am I missing?

peaman

Sustaining Member
I am struggling to tighten the knob at the saloon table base so the table stays at a fixed height. It seems the friction exerted by the knob's SS bolt to the sliding tube is the only force holding up the assembly. That is just not enough, what am I missing?
Mine has a black plastic sleeve at the top of the lower tube. The sleeve is a close fit on the upper tube, and has slots which create a "tongue" which the tightening bolt should bear against. Pull the top tube out to see if all is in order. I was unable to remove the plastic sleeve without risk of damage.