Maintaining Harken Furler

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The boat we bought recently has a Harken furler (Model/Mark II), which works well. The manual mentions taking the drum apart annually or so to rinse the bearings and apply something like McLube dry lubrication, and to similarly rinse/lubricate the top at the masthead. I want to keep it in good working order, but am not very mechanically inclined (ie. taking the drum apart on this new to us boat is worrisome!), and am also not inclined to take a bosuns chair to the masthead to try to figure that out; also don't want to unstep the mast to do this annually (it was recently stepped by a rigger before we bought the boat). My current thinking is to rinse the drum with fresh water whenever I can, hoping it will flush the salt out, spray with Mclube every three months or so, hoping some gets to the right places, and maybe hire a rigger to check the masthead annually and lubricate that section. Any other suggestions? What do you all do to maintain furlers (I assume you do maintain them, but also assume you don't unstep the mast or climb to the top regularly...).
Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Frank.

e38 owner

Member III
There are no moving parts at the top of the mast other than the swival.
The swival comes down when the headsail is lowered. Thus a chair is probably not needed.

However, The foil rotates around the headstay. Every so often the sheeve, shrouds and fitting should be inspected at the top. At that time have them check the top of the foil for damage. Damage can be caused from a halyard wrapping or chafing on the foil.

HGSail

Member III
I have the same furler that you have. It is very easy to take apart. First you pull all of the furler line off of the drum (roll up the sail). If you are going to leave the sail up, Loosen the halyard a bit to take the tension off of the sail and detach the tack of the sail if need be. Take out the four allen head bolts and remove the drum. Viola, Now you can get to the bearings.
As far as the upper part, It is nothing more than a sleeve around the forestay. If you want, You could shoot something down there but I have never done it myself. I do all of this at my dock with no problems.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for your replies. You make it sound relatively easy! Pat, if I undo the 4 allen head bolts as you mention, does it all sort of fall apart (ie. end up in the water!!) or is it fairly easy to manage and contain on the deck? And does it reassemble just as easily, or is it a real puzzle requiring substantial mechanical dexterity to do--you can tell I have experienced some interesting challenges with similar "easy" tasks in the past.
Thanks again.
Frank.