Maintenance & Mechanical

RON CARTER

Member I
M-25 Universal Alternator Bracket Failure

M-25 Universal Alternator Bracket
Ericson 35-3 1983 #127 Azgard. during summer cruise alternator bracket arm bolt sheared on back side of engine attachment point, allowing alternator to sit down on oil filter causing crack thru which engine oil pumped into bilge over 5 hrs motoring but belt continued to operate water pump and alternator. Result was considerable engine damage from lack of lubrication from top end down to crank. We elected to replace engine with new universal 25 xpb rather than rebuild original m-25 with 2100 hrs over past 20 years. we have had no success gaining any participation from insurance co...... They insist incident not accidental, rather just wear and tear... OUCH !
Has anyone had similair problem and able to offer any advice on persuing insurance ??. We now know of universal alt. bracket upgrade after the fact as boat was new to us april /03.
I would warn everyone to monitor these bolts regularly !!!!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The engine isn't the only thing needing replacing...

Since it is common for insurance companies around here to replace a ruined head sail and furler left up in January high winds, I think that your situation is far MORE deserving of coverage (!)...
:rolleyes:

This was not something, like leaving the headsail up in the winter, that was totally within the owner's control and violated common sense. Yours was a failure more like any other internal breakage that causes catastrophic damage to the engine. On most boats (all?) the bolt you refer to is not even visible.
:(

Way too late to ask now, but was the low-oil-pressure alarm working? Or, was it just too late to salvage anything by the time it went off?

FWIW, a friend of mine with the same engine had the front adjustable bracket break off and the alternator fell down and (you guessed it) puncture the oil filter. Since the belt lost tension he had quick warning that something was amiss, and shut down before harm was done.
I towed him into a marina where a temporary fix was made.
:eek:

I wonder if you might have an attorney friend that could help you "explain" to your insurance company that this sort of invisible and expensive problem is exactly why you bought the insurance in the first place...
And if that fails, and a legal action is ill-advised for some other reason, fire them and get a real insurer for your boat, soon.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8, Universal M25XP

:esad:

escapade

Inactive Member
Ron;
I agree w/Loren with the exception of one point. By the time time low oil preasure alarm goes off, the damage is already done. Periodial monitoring of the gauges will tell you a lot more. Any change is worthy of investigation (oil preasure, water temp, or amps). Good luck with the insurance company and I will be checking the bracket on my M25XP next time I'm at the boat!
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I started a thread on a related subject on 4/28/03 entitled " M25 alternator mount cracks gear case cover".
http://www.ericsonyachts.com/infoexchange/showthread.php?threadid=736

Whether and how much insurance you have depends on the what you bought. My insurance (Markel through www.imiscorp.net), so I have been assured by my broker, will cover damage due to latent defects in equipment (as opposed to damage caused by poor maintenance) without deduction for depreciation. The example he gave is the failure of an oil seal in the engine, which he said is not a maintenance item. However, I pay an extra $300 per year for coverage that removes the depreciation deduction. IMHO, you should, in any event, have some coverage because your loss was sudden and catastrophic and not due to wear and tear (the gear cover plate is not a wear item) but due to a latent defect (as evidenced by the Universal service advisory referenced in my other thread). Good luck.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Azgard?

Hey Ron -

Is your boat the same 'Azgard' (blue painted hull) from Lyman and Terrie of Portland? I heard they were talking about selling... Sorry to hear about your engine...

//sse

RON CARTER

Member I
Azgard relocation

Sean, Yes this is the 35-3 P.O. by Lyman and Terri of Portland, moored at Swantown, Olympia We bought her in April 03 and immediately moved her north to Pt. Roberts Wa.. Have had some great sails in Strait of Georgia, but engine certainly loused up second half of summer for us. Currently we are working on the usual set of problems...have removed, repaired, rebedded anchor bin and solved those leaks , and now working on the dorade box area and stovepipe leak thru cabintop. Very surprised to see O'Barquinho now moored at Pt Roberts. If you can please let me know contact nbr for new owner Thanks Ron Carter

RON CARTER

Member I
Replace Insuance as well as Engine

In error posted this reply e-mail direct to Loren. Here is repeat, .........Loren, your thots same as mine but as i do not have lawyer friend will persue myself. FYI the oil pressure alarm did not sound until the 5th hour of motoring , when we began to motorsail in sudden squall , and for first 10 minutes thot we had kicked the key into 'start' position as had happened before, consequently we ran engine for approx 20 mins before shutting off. I appreciate your reinforcement. Many thanks Ron Carter Azgard #127

RON CARTER

Member I
Just an update. We have sent letters to both our insurance co. and damage surveyor stating that their denial of our engine damage claim is not justified, and will post the result later regards AZGARD 35-3

RON CARTER

Member I
We have just recd reply from Surveyor and Underwriter on our engine failure........They continue to insist "Proximate Cause" was a result of wear and tear, a gradual deterioration, resulting from a failure on the alternator bracket. Further , a latent defect does not occur after a 20-year period. Looks like we will be taking our lumps , and looking for another insurance co. possibly AZGARD 35-3 #127

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
The amount does not justify a lawsuit, but does your insurance company provide any kind of dispute resolution mechanism (e.g. arbitration) where you can represent yourself? You might also contact the insurance commissioner in your state/province.