Guest viewing is limited

making side berth a bit wider?

kylewilliams

hello, i have a an E27. I have been kicking around an idea for making the side berths a bit wider for sleeping. I have seen other boats (Newport 30, for example) where the backrests were arranged to be slid back tighter against the hull, allowing several more inches of width for sleeping. I have seen other E27s with a cutout behind the seat back cushions that allowed for stowage back there. There is quite a bit of space behind the backrest. I am thinking of cutting out that entire backrest panel and hinging it at the top, just below the little shelf. I would configure some sort of latch to hold it in position for sitting, but when released, the bottom of the backrest could swing back against the hull and provide those several extra inches for sleeping. is there any structural importance to that backrest? I would not want the hull to fold up, but it does not seem to be a structural member. Any ideas or thoughts on this concept?

thanks
Kyle

Steve A

Member II
I built a sliding double berth on an E27 a while back, made the starboard settee in to a double berth. Not much you can do with the port side without blocking the passageway forward.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I donno 'bout that...

Our last boat had a full inside frp molding for seats, backs, etc. Like your E-27, it was designed as a performance cruiser.
AFAIK that whole molded part was designed to cooperate with the hull and deck to carry the stress of rigging loads transferred, and also resistance to flexing in a seaway.
I would vote not to remove the whole section. Sailboats are designed as an engineered package, with all the major parts of the structure doing a job. (Certainly not the same, but not too different from the molded-in long heavy stringer system in a power boat that carries the torque of the engine and distributes it along the hull...)

As others have done, perhaps you can design and fab up an extension for sleeping.

Plan B: many years ago a friend of mine with somewhat narrow settees on his E-33, had the inside edge extended inwards about 3" with teak pieces, and then could put wider cushions on both sides. It looks 'stock' and no one really can tell by looking... and it sits better for happy hour and dinner, too.

Loren

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
Here's another option

if your boat doesn't have it already. Note the piano hinge on the starboard settee in the photo attached. It holds a false settee dinette and floor closeup.jpgfront that swings up, extending the settee toward the center of the boat about 14 inches. There are pegs attached to the inside of the false front that swing down and hold the extension in place.

kylewilliams

thanks for the ideas. I already use a few planks stretched across from one seat to the other to make a nice double bed for when "special" company comes aboard. I am looking to make the single berths a bit more comfy for when the guys come over. I get into those under-seat lockers all the time so i am reluctant to do anything to make them less accessable. the idea of extending it out a few inches may be the only wise solution.
cheers and fair winds,
kyle

EGregerson

Member III
double wide

Hi; take a look at the E28. It has a slide out double in the main salon. The main difference is it has a drop down table. But should be fairly easy to adapt. Fair winds.

aquavit

Member II
If you want pictures of the slide-out in the E28, I can take some of mine before the season starts.

Glenn

kylewilliams

thanks. I dont think a slide out arrangement would work too well for me. i get into those settee lockers all the time and a sliding platform over them would be a real problem. I may cogitate on a 6-8"stip of wood that would be hinged and fold down when not i use.
cheers and fair winds to all.
Kyle

Dave Neptune

Member II
Wide bunk

Kyle, I had a 27 a while back and did a mod that worked well for me. I "mirrored" the starbord bunk and mounted a "toe rail" to keep the cushion in place. I mounted it with a piano hinge and used a cockpit cushion as the second bunk cushion. My girlfriend at the time sewed a set of sheets that held the two cushions in plase and when folded up the bunk was a tiny bit taller, the thickness of the bunk. I used the companion way ladder to support the under side as it was to close to use when the bunk was down.
FYI I also extended the galley with a "fold-up" counter that dropped down along the port side bunk bulkhead. This gave me another 20"'s of counter space that I could just fold down and out of the way when not in use. Certainly was appreciated by the chef.

Davve Neptune :cool:

kylewilliams

sounds like the best plan. I will probably only make it about 6-8 inches wide though. i dont want to make it a double bunk, just wide enough to lay single a bit more confy. I actually alos made the same fold up/down counter extension that you describe. it make a world of differnce while cooking!
thanks and fair winds
kyle

PS so where was your 27 when you had it, and what to you sail now?

Dave Neptune

Member II
My 27

I sold my 27 in 1984 a to a guy in Oxnard after purchasing my present E35MKII. I have not seen or heard from them since. The 27 had a modified keel and rudder that BK and Norm Cross helped wih and it made a huge improvement. It was a geat boat and I watched it being built. I live in Huntington Beach and keep the Volador in Alimitos Bay Long Beach Ca. I kept Easy , the 27 in tha same area and did lots of Catalina and a few Chanel Island trips.

You may want to rethink the narrow addition as the cushion will not fit somewhere else and will have to be stored. When the "bunk" is folded over access to the storage lackers isn't bad at all and uyou will not have a lump under the seat :rolleyes:. If you go to the fold down there will be a lump when the bunk is in the up position. With the mirrored bunk it is completely out of the way and the cushion can store as used in the cockpit. Theat set up worked well for me and mine, got married and some kids and the boat was still used a lot.

Dave Neptune :cool: