• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Marine Head and Hoses, all Models [Master Thread]

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Just confirming that them hoses--they stink, right? It's an optical illusion that they look awful shiny, nicht war? But clearly when you rub a damp rag on them and smell it it has the nose not of a fine cabernet but of Bolo's diaper hamper, eh? My stinky hoses were black and permeated. But stink is subjective, yes. Napoleon, sending a message to Josephine of his imminent arrival home, said simply "I am coming. Don't wash."
They’re sticky to the touch and I’m having all kinds of back flow problems. I should do this while I’m still young enough.

peaman

Sustaining Member
For sanitation hose, I used Saniflex Odor Shield and Trident-Premium. For tank vent, I used 1/2” Shields 1350HD water hose which looks like common fuel line. The original clear hose had deteriorated, and I figured “water hose” should be okay as it should never carry liquids.

IMG_0070.jpeg
Removable cover is supported by new cleats which are attached by the screws shown. Original cleats were attached from below and prevented removal of the tank.

IMG_0071.jpeg
An elbow was installed in each of the bottom-connected hoses to make installation much easier, and to minimize torque on the elbows at the tank bottom which could result in leaking. The webbing straps attach to a webbing belt a few inches below the top of the tank. That made installation and test-fitting of the tank much easier than without.

I recommend that each screwed fitting be sealed with teflon tape followed by pipe dope such as Hercules Megaloc 15804.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
For sanitation hose, I used Saniflex Odor Shield and Trident-Premium. For tank vent, I used 1/2” Shields 1350HD water hose which looks like common fuel line. The original clear hose had deteriorated, and I figured “water hose” should be okay as it should never carry liquids.

View attachment 51069
Removable cover is supported by new cleats which are attached by the screws shown. Original cleats were attached from below and prevented removal of the tank.

View attachment 51070
An elbow was installed in each of the bottom-connected hoses to make installation much easier, and to minimize torque on the elbows at the tank bottom which could result in leaking. The webbing straps attach to a webbing belt a few inches below the top of the tank. That made installation and test-fitting of the tank much easier than without.

I recommend that each screwed fitting be sealed with teflon tape followed by pipe dope such as Hercules Megaloc 15804.
Like the elbows. That’s just plain beautiful.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Just confirming that them hoses--they stink, right? It's an optical illusion that they look awful shiny, nicht war? But clearly when you rub a damp rag on them and smell it it has the nose not of a fine cabernet but of Bolo's diaper hamper, eh? My stinky hoses were black and permeated. But stink is subjective, yes. Napoleon, sending a message to Josephine of his imminent arrival home, said simply "I am coming. Don't wash."
Sticky and stinky—and not in Josephine way.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Ah, of course. Perhaps you have the optional tank pump-out plumbing? (My 32-3 had no Whale in the head).
Same as mine. The other 32-3 at my club has the pump-out whale gusher in the head, but, unlike mine, it does not have the Y-valve for optional pumping directly from the head, overboard - when/where it’s legal and ethical. I really like having this option - esp for cruising in the Caribbean, and offshore in general. IMO, getting the holding tank pumped out is a bit of a hassle.