• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mark III vs. 200

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Does anyone have any views on the advantages or disadvantages of the newer 200 series over the Mark III series? I have a 32-3, which I prefer because it seems better suited for two people, i.e. it does not sacrifice room in the V-berth for a second cabin where the quarter berth is and it provides a seated nav station. Also, for reasons of privacy, I prefer not to have the head right next to the cockpit (and galley).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Both appear to have advantages, and disadvantages. We had money down on an offer on a 32-200, before we settled on the Olson 34 (also a tri-cabin layout inside). The Ericson 32 deal did not go thru. Spent a lot of time poking around the insides, tho. IMHO it is about as small a boat as you would want to attempt a tri-cabin layout in...
One piece of trivia: an Ericson dealer told me that the 200 series had the rudder post moved aft a ways (how far I do not know) to accomodate the aft cabin better. In theory this should make it handle slightly better off the wind. This "fact" may or may not be true.
For about the same money (in '94) we ended up with our "fixer-upper" Olson 34. The E-32-200 we looked at was turn-key, in comparison. I think the thing that sticks in my mind is the very wobbly post-mounted table (!). The anchor well was large enough to hang up spare rodes and sleep a small crewperson. The overall appearance was "modern classic Ericson". We liked the looks. Side decks were good, with the molded-in raised toerail, and decks fairly level. By comparison, the crown in the deck is a sort-of minus with the Olson.
As to the head aft, I love it. Whether you are wet from rain (like here in the NW) or spray, you do not have to track water thru the whole interior just to make a head call. There is a door to the head, so you have as much privacy as you can get on any boat below 50 feet. As to having more doors inside, I cannot remember if there was one for the forepeak and the aft cabin. Our Olson has both of these doors, and I took off and stored the one to the foreward cabin. Too much privacy equals not enough ventilation. Of course this opinion is worth what you are paying for it...
<G>
All the best,
Loren in Portland, OR

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
On the Crusader Yacht site there is a (sold) 1998 Pacific Seacraft Ericson 333 (asking price $142k!) I seems to have basically the 200 layout with the exception that the chart table is now the top of the refrigerator - the design assumption apparently being that navigation and beer are incompatible activities. I would hate to lose my nav station as it has become the only "personal space" I have on the boat.