• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast and chainplate work on Ericson 27

JPS27

Member III
Reposting to a new thread as the below got no response. Hoping because it was at the bottom of an old thread and not that the question is completely unworthy... :)

:::::

I'm putting my masthead back together with parts supplied by zephyrwerks.

My most pressing question is ...

should my pins for the forestay and backstays be bolts with nuts? Or is it acceptable to have pins (5/16" axels) with properly sized cotter pins. I asked zephyrworks for pins for the stays, but after revisting the help and pics I got on this thread, I'm second guessing myself.

Pics of current situation to clarify. One pic of new external chainplates. And the rings are there just to allow for easy dismantling while we work things out. Next up, standing rigging assembly (by rigger), I'm putting together a new topping lift system, need to enlarge the hole for mast wiring to go thru deck since I have a bit more wire to account for.

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_5671.jpeg
    IMG_5671.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5721.jpeg
    IMG_5721.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5704.jpeg
    IMG_5704.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5722.jpeg
    IMG_5722.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 13

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like you are on the right path. I think pins are standard practice, rather than bolts. That's what I used on my E27 and current boat. Also, you might include a standpipe and drip loop in the wiring at the mast step to eliminate drips into the boat. Discussion here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/mast-step-wiring-conduit-35-2.18814/#post-145229
My SWAG is that you need the smooth diameter of the "pin" to evenly bear against the jaw(s) of the other fittings. If you use a bolt, it would need to have the threaded part with the nut end exactly at the outside of the surface of the fitting. If threading it yourself that would be easy, but it might difficult to find a production bolt with the threading exactly where you want it.
(Ideas tossed out for consideration, only a penny each...)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Yes, pins not bolts. You don't want to compress the sides of the mast (or a toggle) as a bolt would, thus there would be no good way to prevent the nut from loosening up.

20220504_155411.jpg 20211219_143618.jpg

Last edited:

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I vote pins. (Hi Jay)
Also: this is a great time to do this work. There has been only 4 or 5 days of decent wind all summer. Thank gawd it is September. Here comes the wind. See you out there!

JPS27

Member III
Hi Bill. You were my motivation to get this project done. See you on the southern bay. Soon we will be sailing over the German made tunnel boring machine as it makes it's way from my side to yours (or vice versa)