Mast boot

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
On my 35-3, I used Spartite (primary seal and support at the partner), self amalgamizing tape (secondary seal), and a custom canvas boot (just to keep the sun off the Spartite and tape). I added an additional bead of life caulk to the seam where the Spartite meets the mast..... I even cut small stainless tubes and placed them between the collar and the tape to shed any water that finds it's way under the tape...and I still get a small drip in certain conditions. I thought I had it totally sealed, but last weekend's rains prooved there's still a small amount of water getting through. It's much better than it used to be and the mast is firmly supported in the partner. I'm beyond frustrated that it still leaks, but I've resigned to just accept it. I might be able to fix it if I pull the mast and rebed the mast collar, but that's beyond the scope right now. After a hard rain or washing the deck, I end up with a few drops as opposed to a puddle, so I guess that's a win?

Prior to going this route, I tried 3 different applications of tape and the vinyl boot with hose clamps sold at West Marine. They were all worse than the globs of silicone, mast tape, and years of duct tape the previous owner sealed it with.

Attachments

• 20201010_125952.jpg
    20201010_125952.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201021_163712.jpg
    20201021_163712.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201023_113949.jpg
    20201023_113949.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 32

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some pix of ours in reply 6, of this thread. Maybe helpful a little bit.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use the stretchy tape.

But it's covered by a simple cosmetic boot. The top is folded over a big hose clamp around the mast, and the foot is a drawstring. The overlapping ends are held by Velcro.

I made a test piece out of scrap cloth, to get the factors right, then duplicated it in Sunbrella. It keeps UV off the tape.

boot.JPG

saphira36

Member II
Sorry for your continued frustrations trickdhat but your story makes me feel better. :) I just put the tape on a few weeks ago because the boot had deteriorated to the point there were open cracks. Every rain I still get a little in but I thought I'd just done a bad job with the tape. Guess it's a harder solve than that. We also have a lot of custom canvas. Thinking of spraying it with scotch guard since apparently it's just a strainer in it's native form.