• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Paint Flaking Off - What's Below It?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
A question:

My boat has a few places on the mast where the paint is "bubbling up" - that is, the paint has sort of blistered up, and is/can flake away.

One of the places this is happening is down below, near the cabin sole. I assume this is from water running down the inside of the mast - but what concerns me is that behind the paint there is a chalk like substance that I can pick away at - what is that stuff? The mast is aluminum - so it's not supposed to be corroding.... What is that stuff - and can I just sand it down and paint it - or is there cause for real concern?

Thanks,

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have that at the very bottom of my mast (1985 32-3) I assume that there is some corrosion due to perhaps an electric potential between the mast and the step (as there is around SS fittings). I am hoping to have my mast Awlgripped next winter, if I can afford it.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Have you had a rigger look at it? Mine is in spots around the base - perhaps 2" here and 2" there... It's on both sides though - enough to worry me...

Thanks,

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Not specifically, although the mast has been removed a couple of times (once to change the standing rigging). The yard does a good job of pointing out defects and has never mentioned this. Have you suffered metal loss/thinning or is it just a white powder on the surface where the point used to be? If the latter, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
It's white powder - but it seems very chalky. I'm sure it's probably ok. I'll have a rigger look at it sometime soon.... I just need to add it to the list of things I need to have done....

Thanks!