Mast step and spreader questions.

NW26

Member II
My mast is off being refurbed. I’m replacing the wiring/co-ax and adding a new cable for wind instruments. In the pic you can see the mast step is rubber filled (silicon?) were the wires go through. My thought is to unbolt the mast head and drill a hole through the rubber then run the new wires/cable through - piece of cake - yes?
Also, is there anything in the spreader to secure the shroud or is it supposed to be all loosy goosy as the pic shows? 4F762A42-DC40-4689-9E9B-80C4E88722DE.png2A3C6EFB-2FD0-4313-8367-A6A6E1ACA0DC.jpeg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Usually the shroud is wired with SS or monel wire to hold it in one position. What mode/length of Ericson do you have?

Note that you can put in a signature line with boat model, engine, and home port. This helps other site members more easily pass along helpful information.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
@NW26 Your boat looks like a good candidate for a wiring gooseneck like this one:

You could remove the mast step, seal all the holes, and rebed the step without wires passing through the deck in the middle of the mast. The wiring goose neck would create a really dry solution and provide a more accessible location to disconnect the mast wiring. If the 26 is constructed similar to the 25+, water fallowing wires in that location can do a lot of damage to the bulkhead and compression post before being detected due to the trim covering the joint between the two in the head.

IMAG1041.jpg

Are you doing the work on the mast yourself or having someone else do it? IF so who did you find in Everett? This is one of the items I've been pushing off and I really need to get a plan together to address it.

NW26

Member II
The mast was un-stepped by Everett Marina with their boom truck. I enlisted the help from a rigger named Albert out of NW Composites to help. I transported the mast to my home on my truck. I stripped the mast and am currently prepping it to repaint. Im replacing all sheaves, lights and wiring. Also replacing the standing/running rigging. A12A80AF-43D9-4504-8331-4D496401E58E.jpeg49C81E86-006C-4F36-9CF1-A7C96100C617.jpeg

Gaviate

Member III
I would add the recommendation to make those bottom of mast electrical connections inside the cabin. Extend the new wire continuous through the newly drilled hole while stepping the mast, and seal at same time, then make final connections in ceiling area inside. This makes all connections accessible for future if needed without repeating what you've just done. I would also opt for a polyurethane based sealant..silicone should be outlawed.
I'm curious what would you estimate is the weight of that mast? I am contemplating the same on my 27 but using a lift with 500lb lift capacity.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I searched for NW Composites and couldn't find much. Is it Puget Sound Composites? I just looked up their site and was surprised to find they now do rigging! Everett has needed local rigging services for a long time. I would like to hear your experience.

NW26

Member II
You are correct, it is Puget Sound Composites. Bryan is the owner - nice guy.
Gaviate - thanks for the advice. I think I’ll work that into the plan. I would estimate the mast weighs between 45-60 lbs. once you find the center, it’s fairly easy to carry, cumbersome obviously.

stjohn

Hmm Ericson 25 in everett and I need to do some repairs on the top of the mast. I was planning on stepping it myself. How much was the boom Truck?

NW26

Member II
I believe it’s around $260/hour. They choke the mast below the spreaders which makes it top-heavy - not unmanageable, but you need to be prepared, especially while disconnecting the mast wires.