Mast Steps

EGregerson

Member III
Hi; Anyone with experience in installing mast steps on a kenyon mast for a keel stepped E-34? Opting to climb rather than swing (at 6'5" 240, swinging presents certain problems), i've picked up a box of WM steps. The mast has a seam running down the middle of each side. I expect it to be thicker there. How thick is not known. It appears I could drill 2 holes on either side of the seam (2 up and 2 down) then hope for the best on the center bolts. The 2nd problem is the media to separate the ss bolts from the aluminum mast material; I've heard locktite will protect the mast; does anyone know of a better (purpose built) coating for the threads? :cool:

Glyn Judson

Thread coating, etc.

Dear friend, I recently had my mast repainted and helped the chap refit all the mast hardware. He/I used TefGel on the threads and even went further by using Nylon washers under all but the major rigging. The washers were primarily to help insure that the edges of the holes wouldn't be in contact with the hardware and begin corrosion between the mast ane the fittings. Glyn Judson, Marina del Rey CA

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've used shrink wrap plastic for isolating steel hardware from my aluminum mast. It's easy to come by, cuts cleanly, is not too thick/not too thin, and it won't degrade in the sun.

Glyn Judson

Galvanic isolation.

Nate and all, We also used pipe wrap for under ground pipe fittings on the bigger mast hardware. Think 3M #33 electrical tape on steroids and you've got it. It's .010" thick (also comes .020" thick) and comes on a 2" wide 50 foot roll that costs chump change at any hardware store. The neat thing about it is that it's advesive-backed so it stays in place. Slap a piece on the back of whatever you're mounting, cut off what you don't need with a #11 X-acto knife and you're good to go. It's UV safe, etc. Glyn Judson, Marina del Rey CA