Mexican built Ericson 32's ?

Frank G

Member II
Hi there,
I am shopping for an Ericson 32-3.
One of my fellow sailing club members has a 1986 Ericson 32-3. I really like it. He says that he knows someone in a neighboring sailing club in Tennessee who owns an Ericson 32 with a severely blistering, delaminating hull. He says that some of the Ericsons were laid up in Mexico, and to stay away from them, to get one laid up in California.
Is there any validity to this assertion?
What other problems should I look out for? I had one surveyed which had 21 palm sized blisters, and soft spots in the deck, especially at the pedestal (It shook and flexed the deck)
Any words of wisdon would be greatly appreciated.
Of course I'll get any boat I wish to purchase hauled and surveyed. Money well spent.
Thanks
Frank

Frank,
I have never dealt with blisters on my 73 E-27, but I would think that soft spots on the deck--which indicate water intrusion--near the pedestal seem to be a very good reason to look elsewhere. Fixing a bad boat is about three times more expensive as getting a good one to start with. Caveat emptor.
Morgan Stinemetz

Frank G

Member II
Hi Morgan
I agree with you and Bubba Whartz that I should get a 32 in good shape, and not get a project boat. There is one in Punta Gorda listed on Yachtworld which may be worth looking at. It looks a little overpriced though. What do you think?

Frank,
I am a poor source for fair boat pricing, but it struck me, too, as pricey. Only you can make the choices and decisions that one must make, though, and if you are happy with the way things break out it makes no difference what others say.
Morgan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...ear=&currencyid=100&fromPrice=&toPrice=&cint=

I just did this search and several in the SE sound very nice. Based on prices for this model here in the NW, anything under 45K is a gift...
:)

You did not ask, but since you like the traditional layout of the E-32-3, you really also ought to look at the E-33 (Ron Holland), and there is one listed in Texas....

Happy hunting,
Loren in PDX

ref_123

Member III
I think I have one

Hi Frank,

this have been an "urban legend" about Ericsons for years. I think I have one of those "mexican" hulls. Those blisters we have are in the top layer of the gelcoat and as such are non-structural. They are from a few millimeters to about a quarter coin in size, and there is a LOT of them. Our surveyor and boat yard independently told us that the hull is sound and we can do many years of happy sailing with those blisters - which we do for the past 4 years. Fix will take grinding the top layer of the gelcoat down and putting a new barrier coat. So, if you find a boat that fits your requirements and have a confirmation from the competent surveyor that there is no structural problem with the hull - go for it.

Regards,
Stan

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Ericson32-3

I am probably the guy in Tennessee that has the Ericson 32-3 with blister issues. I have never had any delamination problems whatsoever. I did have the typical small blisters in the outside gel coat that plagued the 1989 models. Two years ago I had the hull stripped and applied the Interlux system, using the new Epiglass followed by the 2000. The hull has held up very well with no additional blisters. The 32-3 is a great boat and sails extremely well for a 32. Just wanted to set the record straight and would be glad to talk to anyone interested in this model. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo #753

newgringo

Member III
E32-3 Price Considerations

As a 1 1/2 yr new owner to an 86 E32-3 my 2 bits is that boat equipment and condition far out weighs purchase price considerations. From what I know now I would gladley pay thousands extra for a primium condition boat. So a high asking price may well be real value. Always look. And the price of an "overpriced" 20 year old E32-3 compared to a new whatever of the same type is a bargain. Things like sails, masts, engines and yard work can cost big bucks not to mention time lost on the water sailing. As far as blisters on an E32-3 mine was pretty much blisiter free and all the decking is rock solid. Another point, when buying again I would pay more for a surveyer who also includes rigging and engines in the survey. Seems the one I hired did not even look at the rigging or run the engine. Everything was basically OK, lucky I guess.