• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mooring chain wrapped stopping winged keel

Ed Brockelbank

Hi. Recently purchased a 26-2ericson and an having problems with the mooring chain getting around the winged keel. I am moored on a river with 4 to 5 knots of tide.This has happened twice in this week. Someone told me to try a sentenial ?? I have all chain to the ball. Anyone had this problem before?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have this problem when anchoring out anywhere in the lower Columbia, where the anchorage is exposed to current. Our current runs about 1 to 2 kts most of the year but about 3 for a couple months during spring runoff... like is now - just finishing.
Some years ago, we were anchored behind an island with our prior fin keel boat, and woke up sideways to the current. The line was around our fin keel, when tide reversed in the night. I guessed right - and backed around the line in the proper direction to unwind us.

Wing keel shape would be worse, followed by a fin-n-bulb shape, followed by a deeper fin....... :(
You have a LOT of current, imho.
A 'sentinel' would help, altho having the heavier chain normally puts enough vertical in the catenary to avoid such a problem. Usually.

Your setup is (?) a rope pennant to a permanent float, then all chain down to the weight on the bottom?
It would be Interesting to find out how your neighbors deal with this.
Five knots is a LOT of current. :(

Keep us posted.

Ed Brockelbank

We have this problem when anchoring out anywhere in the lower Columbia, where the anchorage is exposed to current. Our current runs about 1 to 2 kts most of the year but about 3 for a couple months during spring runoff... like is now - just finishing.
Some years ago, we were anchored behind an island with our prior fin keel boat, and woke up sideways to the current. The line was around our fin keel, when tide reversed in the night. I guessed right - and backed around the line in the proper direction to unwind us.

Wing keel shape would be worse, followed by a fin-n-bulb shape, followed by a deeper fin....... :(
You have a LOT of current, imho.
A 'sentinel' would help, altho having the heavier chain normally puts enough vertical in the catenary to avoid such a problem. Usually.

Your setup is (?) a rope pennant to a permanent float, then all chain down to the weight on the bottom?
It would be Interesting to find out how your neighbors deal with this.
Five knots is a LOT of current. :(

Keep us posted.
Yes 5 knots us terrible !! It's the Merrimack River in Salisbury.mass. yes.tjat is the set up i have as you described I guess I'll try the sentrial ? There are 3 fin boats in my area who have never had this problem they told me