my Shurflow Pump died ...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time sure flies! It was 2001 when I started a thread on the reformatting of our drinking water system. All has been well. Then, a couple o' days ago the pump quit moving water. Motor turns and made appropriate sounds, but no water came out of the taps...
:(
Pump is the new ShurFlo 2088-423-344 installed when I did the system upgrade in '01. It still looks like new. Since we had planned to go out for the night this current weekend (and we did!) I swapped back in the old grotty-looking ShurFlo pump probably installed when the boat was new in '88. :cool:

It works but the check valve is not operating. This got us through a nice night on the river and is still pumping water fine. (Without a check valve the accumulator is without purpose, though.)

I note that I can source another same-model pump new for prices ranging from 80.-ish to well over $100. Rebuild kits for the pump/switch part of it appear to be available, also.

A look at the web site for West and some other major outlets shows a replacement model for this pump at about $115. @ West, the Aqua King 3.0 GPM. Mine is rated 2.8 GPM.

Anyone here rebuilt one? Have experiences to share? I ask because I suspect that Ericson put these on a bunch of different boat models in the 80's.

http://www.shurflo.com/pdf/marine/ProductDataSheets/pds-2088-723-244.pdf This is a link to the parts diagram PDF for this pump, FWIW.

Thanks for your help, as always.
Loren in PDX
1988 (Ericson) Olson 34

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
A year ago the pressure cutoff switch on our Shurflo dated to late 1980's stopped working so the pump ran forever. After a call to Shurflo and an exhaustive search I was convinced that the rebuild kits are no longer available. Shurflo recommended an RV shop in Arizona I think. That shop told me they couldn't get the rebuild kits anymore but if I sent them the pump for some weeks, they might be able to fix it. That is when I bought a brand new model.

The actual problem was that the motor and diaphragm couldn't develop enough pressure to trigger the cutoff, though it appeared to pump fine.

BTW - the newer diaphragm kits don't quite fit the old pumps.

Last edited:

dcoyle

Member III
I rebuilt a surflow bilge pump last spring and it was very easy and much cheaper than purchasing new. Dont remember what model but kit had impeller and washers and shaft didnt take long. Hardest part was reinstalling pump.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
When these buggers have died on me, its been the pressure switch. While its not a difficult repair, the problem is getting the part, and then getting the pump out. I'm intrigued by the Extreme series, which uses a sensor and a varable speed motor, so no pressure switch...anyone had any experiences with these?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I did a rebuild on my Shurflo (Shurfail!) about 6 weeks ago. Your pump description sounds just like mine. Pretty easy to work on. It would pump fine in a bucket but once hooked up to the system it didn't pump anything. As a last resort I installed a new diaphram. Now it works great. The old diaphram looked fine, close inspection revealled no problems at all, looked just like the new one. I think the part was @$24 at WM. Then I found it locally for $9. WM is such a rip off. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Under Pressure, again

New Sureflo pump in place as of couple days ago. Works great, and nowadays is spec'd to move 3.0 gpm. Warranty is now 3 years, as well. :)
I still had to swap the support frame that is screwed to the motor housing because they have *again* slightly changed the mounting pattern by an inch, give or take. Their engineers have a perverted sense of humor...

Lucky me, I still had a $25.-off West coupon from attending the April Strictly Sail show, so the final price was under $90.

Unexpected news was that I found a small leak in a hose fitting under the galley sink faucet and fixed it while mucking about under there. (I had been wondering why a little bit of water was wandering into the adjacent bilge section while we were out cruising...)

"Boat Mainenance = Two steps forward, One back"

Loren

Last edited:

Mikebat

Member III
I just replaced my old Shurflo, original equipment on my 1989 E32-200. I put in a Jabsco pump, because that's the only brand of fresh water pump they had at WM. The SHURflos were all washdown or bait pumps. Anyway, I really, really, really, really, really hate the stupid quick disconnects that BOTH manufacturers are using now (and neither one fits the other - surprise effing surprise). WTF is wrong with a nipple and teflon tape, for pity's sake?

Furthermore, this Jabsco pump came with two elbow fittings with nipples on one end and the stupid quick disconnect for the pump side on the other. The original pump didn't have effing elbows there so of course my QEFT tubing won't bend and reach to match it. Fortunately for me - and inexplicably - the accumulator tank came with two Jabsco quick connects that were straight through. So I was able to get all the original tubing connected after all. I really don't like spending that kind of quality time under my galley sink when it's 95 F in the harbor.

WTF are they thinking? I'm out in Mexico and the line gets a leak, so I have to replace it - and guess what? No Jabsco pumps, no quick connect fittings but plenty of traditional nipples - you know, the kind that have been used since indoor effing plumbing was invented? Do these people have any idea? How do I know that quick connect will hold up? I don't. Will I be able to get another in 10, 15 years? Probably not. Pisses me off. I hope one of those product designers (I don't want to call them engineers) Googles this post while they're dreaming up the next plumbing disaster. Nipples, dammit. Nipples!!!

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
I Used A Flojet VSD Pump

...when I replaced the shurflo last year. The Flojet got a great review in Practical Sailor and I had one I was happy with on my old boat. The pump is energy efficient, very quiet, and puts out plenty of water. I also used the Flojet raw water pump when I installed a salt water washdown for anchor duty last year.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=3247&src=SRQB

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD