Guest viewing is limited

Need help - Getting ready to purchase a 1976 Ericson C

Kim

Hi, I'm new to sailing and this site - so new that I can't figure out how to post a question in the right place. If anybody reads this and responds and you don't hear back from me it's only bc I wasn't able to find my way back to the post. I'm on the verge of buying a 36' Ericson C (1976) and wondered what the main differences are in the RH and C models. I'm also looking at a 1982 RH (also 36') that needs a lot less work but I love the lines of the C. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
BTW, the great poet Emily D wrote "much madness is divinest sense."

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pre-purchase questions and etc

Howdy. I moved your post with its good questions to the Design & Function thread. It seems like you have questions about more than one model. This might be a good forum for it.

BTW, we got to visit on board an E-36C at the 2014 Northwest rendezvous. Young couple was living aboard full time. They had a guitar and a custom spice rack in the galley... Oh to be that young again! :)

Cheers,
Loren

Kim

Got it! Thanks very much!

Got it! Thanks very much! I've got a lot to learn!
They are entirely different boats.

36C is a Bruce King design, oriented toward cruising with semi-traditional lines, displaces something like 18,000 pounds

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1725

36RH is a Ron Holland design, derived from some successful racing boats of the day, displaces 11,600 pounds, fin keel, more sail area

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2121

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Kim,

Tell us more about your plans for a 1976 boat. No doubt you look forward to working on such a boat and have tools and inclination and time.

The forum is good at helping estimate what it takes to get an old boat sailing again, and to argue considerations of purchase and resale.

Welcome aboard!

Kim

Hi Christian,I'm looking for a strong, sturdy, safe boat for cruising which is why I'm considering the Ericson 36C. She just came up for sale. A family of 4 lived aboard for the past 3 years but outgrew her. She has great bones and lots of good energy. I definitely have the inclination and energy to work on her and plan to sail on a local river until I gain enough experience to venture out to sea (the Atlantic). That's about it. I'm open to any thoughts or ideas you or anyone on this excellent forum might have. Thanks so much for taking the time to write.

By the way, I've enjoyed watching your YouTube videos. (Your dark-haired grandson is so cute! He reminds me of my son at that age.) Take care -

Hi Kim,

Tell us more about your plans for a 1976 boat. No doubt you look forward to working on such a boat and have tools and inclination and time.

The forum is good at helping estimate what it takes to get an old boat sailing again, and to argue considerations of purchase and resale.

Welcome aboard!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks. Please post here the public listing for any boat you're considering. Lots of useful opinions will result.

wetjim

Member I
36c

Hi Kim,
We just purchased a 36C that we will be restoring. Our first boat was a 1974 E32. What I can tell you, is that Ericsons are good learn-to-sail boats. They are stable, sturdy and very forgiving. Good luck on your purchase!