Need info on the Bukh 20hp engine

sailingdeacon

Member III
I'm looking at an early 80's boat with a well maintained (supposedly) Bukh 20 hp, raw water. My local mechanic really frowns on it - hard to find parts and expensive he says. I hear the run smoothly if balanced properly - whatever that means. It has a huge flywheel, causing me to wonder how long it takes to go from fast forward to reverse? Is the Bukh powerful enough for a roughly 10000 lb boat like an E32 or CS33? Should I run from this boat, take a chance, or repower with a something? What other engine footprint works? Betamarine? Yanmar? Never thought I would be asking these questions. :) :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm looking at an early 80's boat with a well maintained (supposedly) Bukh 20 hp, raw water. My local mechanic really frowns on it - hard to find parts and expensive he says. I hear the run smoothly if balanced properly - whatever that means. It has a huge flywheel, causing me to wonder how long it takes to go from fast forward to reverse? Is the Bukh powerful enough for a roughly 10000 lb boat like an E32 or CS33? Should I run from this boat, take a chance, or repower with a something? What other engine footprint works? Betamarine? Yanmar? Never thought I would be asking these questions. :) :)

I got your message about maybe a phone call. I know only a little about those boats and less about the engine. I recall that we looked at a display for Bukh Engines at the big Seattle Boat Show in the 80's. They had a small dealer network in our area then, but I do not recall seeing any mention of them in the last decade.
They are/were a respected old line diesel from Europe, and as you were told the problem may be parts distribution these days. You may want to ask Mr Google about this. :rolleyes:

We spent some time aboard both a CS 30 and a CS 33 when we were shopping back in '94. Well built, and I would compare them to Ericson or Tartan, in general. One quibble I still recall, was that I did not have full headroom at all in the 30, and I seem to recall that I did not in the 33, either. I am 6'2".

Some (all?) were designed by Ray Wall, and that's a real good pedigree, IMHO.

As for how much power is "enough" I would note that Ericson built a lot of 32-3 and 33RH models with the Universal 21 hp engine. The owners I have met seem to say that it's "enough" but more would be nice. Our boat weighs 10600# (brochure weight) and if I replaced our 23 hp engine I would add some more horses...

If you found a good CS Yacht and could buy it with enough $$ reserve to afford a new diesel, then I would personally advise a new Betamarine, just because I have seen so many successful replacements with that brand.

Happy shopping,

Loren

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Betamarine

Sailingdeacon, Give Betamarine a call @ (877)227-2473. Ask to speak with Farron Peffer. He has a great deal of knowledge in dealing with all different brands and can supply you with all you need to know with the Beta (employed by them) as well.

Best always,
Frank

larossa

Member II
Bukh 20 hp Engine

I have a 20 Hp Bukh in my E31C. My boat is 11400 lbs and the engine powers it quite well. A good "rough" rule of thumb for power needed is 2 hp per 1000 lbs. So if you are at 10,000 lbs 20 hp is good. I like the Bukh. Its over 30 years old and still runs well. I have never had a problem getting parts. So far in the 8 years I've owned the boat I've only needed a valve cover gasket and fuel filters. Its been a good engine. I get my parts out of New Jersey, fantastic dealer. I don't know what you mean by expensive, generally anything marine is expensive. Anyway, I've had great luck with this engine.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Brian
:)

Glyn Judson

Bukh parts availability.

Brian and all, This thread reminds me of an email I got a number of years ago from the owner of E31 hull #05 with a Westerbeke Pilot 20 (Bukh 20) and associated (Bukh, Hurth, I really don't know) transmission. He had lost the cluster gear in the transmission and was drawing a blank finding a replacement for this seeming obsolete gear box. On a long shot hunch, I a single call to a machinist/mechanic I know in LA Harbor asking where to find this particular part. By some incredible stroke of luck on my part, heavenly body alignment and maybe me holding my tongue just the right way, he informed me that he had that very transmission at his shop in mothballs. I hooked them both up and let them make all the arrangements. So all the way from LA Harbor to Florida, this much needed and seemingly scarce part found a new home and saved the owner from what he thought was the only alternative he was facing: replacing the entire drive train, easily an $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 task or more. Happy Holidays to all, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA