Need tabernacle for E25

bdubose

Hello:

Does anyone in Ericson land know of a source for a ready made mast tabernacle that will work on the Ericson 25? There is no way that I can see of stepping and unstepping this mast otherwise without use of a stepper or crane.
Some of these boats came equipped with the optional tabernacle kit from the factory, mine unfortunately was not ordered that way.

If you know of a craftsman who has fabricated one, please pass that on as well. We'd love to be able to use our boat in locales without a stepper available.

Thanks!

Bratton DuBose
Bozeman,Montana

Bob in Va

Member III
Mast modification

Bratton - I added a mast base hinge to the regular base plate on my E23. The casting actually has "E25" on it, so it could be the same as yours. I believe the masts (6.5"X3.25") are the same cross section. The hinge is from Dwyer Spars and is the larger of the two they sell. It works real well and allows me to raise the mast from the bow with one other person assisting. If you want more details, email me and I'll send the info.

bdubose

Hi Bob:

The system wouldn't let me email you back, however, any details you have would be very helpful! It sounds like you have what I'm trying to find.

My email address is bdubose@dadco.com.

Thanks!

Bratton DuBose
Bozeman,MT

bdubose

Hi again Bob:

Now that I've had a chance to think about things:

Do you have a emailable picture of your setup? It sounds like this is not a tabernacle. Did you have to do any cutting of the mast or reconfiguration of the step?

Thanks again and happy sailing!

Bratton

Bob in Va

Member III
Bratton - Two photos have been emailed, along with a site address for the mast raising diagram. The factory raising system used a mast base casting, several inches high, with a U-shaped tabernacle above that and a single pin/bolt through the tabernacle and mast. With the Dwyer hinge, you don't have to alter anything except to remove the base plate from the cabin top, bolt the top part of the hinge to it, then screw the base plate to the bottom of the mast. Finally, bolt the bottom of the hinge to the cabin top, being careful to locate it so the mast is located exactly where it was before and bed the bolts with good sealer. This will put the mast about 1" higher than it was before. I added toggles to all shrouds below the turnbuckles and on the forestay, and that gave me enough slack for raising/lowering, but just barely. When the mast is at 45 degrees, the uppers tighten up a lot, even though they have been slackened off, because the mast is farthest out of plane with the chainplates. (The lowers are taken completely loose.) Make sure the boom has a "bridle" connected to the open chainplate on each side so it won't fall off to the side.