New Hull Paint for E-35 mk III

lulugrace

Member I
Hi folks,

I know this topic has probably been addressed but I could not find the info. I want to have my hull painted but have no idea what the price range might be to have someone do it. I also know that the cost is extremely variable depending on type of paint, prep work required, geographic location, etc. but if someone could tell me a "ballpark" figure or two it would be very helpful. Just want to keep my Marina Service Manager honest.. (-:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our boat, a little smaller in displacement than yours, was in the shop from June 2020 to April 2021. We stripped whole exterior of all hardware before it was refinished. We put in about 1300 hours (as a couple) ourselves. (we kept informal daily time sheets for our own work)

IF.... we only had the hull repainted I estimate that it would have cost about one third of the (approx) 100K this project absorbed 'out of pocket'.
You might peruse my blog entries on this site; upon reflection they are not that great, but they do hint at the effort such a task requires.

We had a lot of refurbishing done for the whole deck and cockpit, "while we were there". That phrase is in quotes because having your vessel in a shop is the least expensive opportunity you will ever have to work on the list of improvements and upgrades that are on your nautical 'bucket list'. I have heard of owners that had a hull repaint done for under 15K, but that was without a clear coat.

Also, we really had... to redo the deck and nonskid, which had lost much of its "non skid" properties over the decades. The molded-in pattern on the BK Ericson's holds up better over the years than the stippled pattern on the Olson's, IMHO. Your model has a flatter deck, which is always easier to confidently walk on than our model with a slight crown. (More opinion... on my part....)

Be real wary of anyone telling you that a moonlighting "truck painter" can spray this on the cheap, also. Those paint jobs, on their best day, are usually not clear coated and not nearly as hard a surface. A good yard will explain the levels and costs of this work. You are also right that prep is 75% of the total cost/labor. (I sanded a lot of peripheral parts like the radar mast, pedestal, and misc other small parts, but let the expert do the hull & deck. It's tedious and laborious and he was younger and has 30 years of experience.... :)

The E-35-3, to me, is a great "last boat" and would hugely reward a family with decades of sailing joy when restored.

Last edited:

lulugrace

Member I
Thanks so much for the info Loren. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but don't want cheap either. I know where you are in Oregon your cost of living is about 3 times more than where I am in Ohio LOL (Lake Erie Sailor) so I'm hopeful that those costs you provided will be discounted somewhat here.

Thanks again!

lulugrace

Member I
Only above waterline to deck not deck or bottom. Already had bottom paint which was reasonable but upper area is in need.

patrscoe

Member III
Last year a local marina in Virginia quoted $275 per foot plus any prep work that is above and beyond. They have good paint shop and what I have seen, provides a good paint job and only sprays with Awlgrip. You have to add in removing and step'g your mast as they use a painting booth,, haul out and splash, any additional prep work like a deep scratch, etc...
I figured all in for this shop would be $12,500 to $13,000 for a 35' LOA. Not sure if I am going to move forward and incur the expense as I will not get the cost back. For $13k, I would replace all my sails.

patrscoe

Member III
Price above is topside only, not the deck. Loren's paint job is top notch and I am sure was much more and probably looks better.

lulugrace

Member I
Thanks for the feedback Patrick. I agree that for that much money I don't think cosmetic work is in the budget. Might just use spray paint cans - just kidding.

Thanks again!

Dan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last year a local marina in Virginia quoted $275 per foot plus any prep work that is above and beyond. They have good paint shop and what I have seen, provides a good paint job and only sprays with Awlgrip. You have to add in removing and step'g your mast as they use a painting booth,, haul out and splash, any additional prep work like a deep scratch, etc...
I figured all in for this shop would be $12,500 to $13,000 for a 35' LOA. Not sure if I am going to move forward and incur the expense as I will not get the cost back. For $13k, I would replace all my sails.
Perhaps, almost worth reiterating again....
Putting money into any boat (or car or plane or RV or......) will seldom be justified by viewing it as an "investment". Probably never.
Or, putting masses of your labor and chunks of your money into landscaping your back yard into a lovely garden with multiple gurgling water features. Or, etc.

Once we secure the "basics", we all look for large or small additions to our lives that give us pleasure and satisfaction.

I have an older cousin with an old garage/shop that has contained several 40's cars that he likes and intends to completely restore, "someday." It's looking like his children will inherit and have to figure out what to do with those. To me this is a bit illogical, but not to him.
Or another friend that restored a classic GMC motor home. He and his wife have been land-cruising once a year with it for well over a decade. I have no idea how much time he has in it, but it's a lot. He has also restored a vintage sailboat ! :)

So, we restorers never get our money back. Ain't Happening. But, you sensed that from the git go. :rolleyes:

And we were never all that well-planned or noble about our big ol' boat rebuild either, We were on track, like most owners, to ride the depreciation slope slowly down and continue to use it as it aged less and less gracefully for another decade.

Then the pandemic came along. We saw that for a year (at least...) we were not going anywhere much. So we decided to rebuild/manufacture the new high-end $300K Fast Cruiser that we could no-way ever afford to buy.

Oh, when sold someday ---- our boat will bring a decent price relative to the mass of fully-depreciated boats that comprise 99.9% of the used market. But most of our money will be sacrificed on the alter of satisfaction and ego.
Heck, a friend of mine has a new ($$$) Beneteau 35, with an inventory ($$$) of racing sails and gear upgrades. Not logical, to us, but they just Love that boat.

Returning to "the door we came in".... Like some other high end designs from the 70's and 80's, an Ericson 35-3 will always reward a family with a combination of speed, quality, comfort, and pride that has been seldom seen in the market since. You can replicate it, but it will take several hundred thou to get close.

Plan B for us might have been, maybe, perhaps, to use our year to build out a Factory Five 427 Cobra replica for about the same $. Way cool T-Rex of a sports car, but not nearly as useful for a middle aged couple as a "new" boat that we can vacation on for a month at a time.
As someone said once, "that's my story and I'm sticking to it"
:egrin:

Last edited:

lulugrace

Member I
Thanks again Loren... you always have a knack for turning the non-sensical into an "OK". But I'm just going to squint my eyes now when I look at the discoloration of the hull and wait till I win the lottery.

dcoyle

Member III
I had my 1982 E33 painted about 6 years ago after an etchells tboned me at a leeward mark rounding. Luckily insurance covered most of it. The quote was around $14k to repair hole and paint. I did some non skilled grunt work and the bill came for less.
After the paint job my pride of ownership and motivation to keep improving the boat was huge! New sails, new cushions, lots of new deck hardware etc etc. we love the boat and dont regret any of the $$ spent.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
O
Perhaps, almost worth reiterating again....
Putting money into any boat (or car or plane or RV or......) will seldom be justified by viewing it as an "investment". Probably never.
Or, putting masses of your labor and chunks of your money into landscaping your back yard into a lovely garden with multiple gurgling water features. Or, etc.

Once we secure the "basics", we all look for large or small additions to our lives that give us pleasure and satisfaction.

I have an older cousin with an old garage/shop that has contained several 40's cars that he likes and intends to completely restore, "someday." It's looking like his children will inherit and have to figure out what to do with those. To me this is a bit illogical, but not to him.
Or another friend that restored a classic GMC motor home. He and his wife have been land-cruising once a year with it for well over a decade. I have no idea how much time he has in it, but it's a lot. He has also restored a vintage sailboat ! :)

So, we restorers never get our money back. Ain't Happening. But, you sensed that from the git go. :rolleyes:

And we were never all that well-planned or noble about our big ol' boat rebuild either, We were on track, like most owners, to ride the depreciation slope slowly down and continue to use it as it aged less and less gracefully for another decade.

Then the pandemic came along. We saw that for a year (at least...) we were not going anywhere much. So we decided to rebuild/manufacture the new high-end $300K Fast Cruiser that we could no-way ever afford to buy.

Oh, when sold someday ---- our boat will bring a decent price relative to the mass of fully-depreciated boats that comprise 99.9% of the used market. But most of our money will be sacrificed on the alter of satisfaction and ego.
Heck, a friend of mine has a new ($$$) Beneteau 35, with an inventory ($$$) of racing sails and gear upgrades. No logical, to us, but they just Love that boat.

Returning to "the door we came in thru".... Like some other high end designs from the 70's and 80's, an Ericson 35-3 will always reward a family with a combination of speed, quality, comfort, and pride that has been seldom seem in the market since. You can replicate it, but it will take several hundred thou to get close.

Plan B for us might have been, maybe, perhaps, to use our year to build out a Factory Five 427 Cobra replica for about the same $. Way cool T-Rex of a sports car, but not nearly as useful for a middle aged couple as a "new" boat that we can vacation on for a month at a time.
As someone said once, "that's my story and I'm sticking to it"
:egrin:
Ok, Loren. Here's the deal: No one should have an Olson 34 as nice as yours. No one. It just isn't right. I'm working on coming up with reasons for why this is so, but for now I'll just get it out there.

However, following the lead of some of the Roman emperors of old, you may adopt me and make me your son and legal heir, so that your O-34 will pass to me next in the line of succession. Then, you must promise not to outlive me. If you agree to this, I will drop all efforts to argue against your $100K upgrade of such a fantastic boat.

Anticipating your favorable reply,
Alan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the kind words Alan, I guess. That "outliving" part focuses the mind on mortality. Let's let that thought simmer for a while longer.
:)
Actually we were thinking of "adopting" Sean and Meeta, and willing them the boat. Altho it's not as fancy as their former E-35-3.
However, they may have decided to confine their sailing to OPB's at this point.

Another point: the shop that painted ours has done about 8 or ten other boats, in our marina. So, temptation was always all around us.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Actually we were thinking of "adopting" Sean and Meeta, and willing them the boat. Altho it's not as fancy as their former E-35-3.
However, they may have decided to confine their sailing to OPB's at this point.
Sean?? Drat! I hadn't counted on any competition.

This may call for some palace intrigue....