New Mast/Standing Rigging and Olson History

Grizz

Grizz
Thanks Charlie, I've saved these to my 'Mast and Rigging' folder and completely understand the 'same gauge and a smaller one', as we scramble for access a smaller one every year.

Ours is 1 x 19, gave a fair amount of consideration to a Dyneema system...but watching the stick go sideways in a blink triggered the "NFW!" response.

Hoping the new/replacement sails get delivered tomorrow or Tuesday, so we can play with the new toys Wednesday. Stay tuned! Thanks.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Thanks Charlie, I've saved these to my 'Mast and Rigging' folder and completely understand the 'same gauge and a smaller one', as we scramble for access a smaller one every year.

Ours is 1 x 19, gave a fair amount of consideration to a Dyneema system...but watching the stick go sideways in a blink triggered the "NFW!" response.

Hoping the new/replacement sails get delivered tomorrow or Tuesday, so we can play with the new toys Wednesday. Stay tuned! Thanks.
Do you know how much backstay pressure you have set when going to weather (10-18 knots)? And, visually how loose is your lee side rigging at that point of sail? Just a rough idea. I am setting around 2,000 lbs and lee rigging is moving (past a desired wonder) with the mast pretty much in column (although with a lot of bend). The main gets pretty flat and cunningham is on to clean up the lower half.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I bring the gauge pressure readout up to about 1800# max, give or take, trying to get the maximum pointing out of the jib.
1K to 1200, for everyday sailing.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I bring the gauge pressure readout up to about 1800# max, give or take, trying to get the maximum pointing out of the jib.
1K to 1200, for everyday sailing.
Loren, What do the lee shrouds look like? Do you get a lot of slack or movement?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A little slack, if you pull on them, but not waving around. Currently they are tight, as of the last tuneup .
That's a different part of the rig than what the BS controls, tho.

Charlie B.

Member II
I don’t rely on the backstay pressure gauge for calibrating the tension. We have a small batten affixed to the cylinder with a “ruler” that is zeroed when the backstay is taut without any mast bend. Full on backstay for our boat is about 4”. We get a fair amount of bend at that point. See photo.

I have noticeable slack in the leeward shrouds and stays when the wind comes into the 10-15 knot range. At this point we crank up the backstay, vang and Cunningham to shape the main. We carry a lot of mast bend at this point.

I suspect that the mast bend contributes to the slack in the leeward rigging. Haven‘t used check stays in a while to see if this removes the leeward slack.

Attachments

• 10E751D6-7438-4F78-B991-8D602BD2AEA2.jpeg
    10E751D6-7438-4F78-B991-8D602BD2AEA2.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 9

Charlie B.

Member II
Posted the wrong picture of my mast bend. Here is the right one. The wrong pic was of my new jib.

Attachments

• 0DF0420C-48D6-4C79-9D3E-2CC7F4AA7D82.jpeg
    0DF0420C-48D6-4C79-9D3E-2CC7F4AA7D82.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 15

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I don’t rely on the backstay pressure gauge for calibrating the tension. We have a small batten affixed to the cylinder with a “ruler” that is zeroed when the backstay is taut without any mast bend. Full on backstay for our boat is about 4”. We get a fair amount of bend at that point. See photo.

I have noticeable slack in the leeward shrouds and stays when the wind comes into the 10-15 knot range. At this point we crank up the backstay, vang and Cunningham to shape the main. We carry a lot of mast bend at this point.

I suspect that the mast bend contributes to the slack in the leeward rigging. Haven‘t used check stays in a while to see if this removes the leeward slack.
Totally agree with batten method. And, about 4 inches is where I think my max is located. I have a Fairly new (I think 7-8 year old) Kenyon mast that was replaced by a previous owner. There is evidence of repaired damage on the cabin top that may have resulted. Pressure @4" is about 2400-2500lbs. My Loos gauge settings are around 46-47 on the uppers but it still seems too slack when the wind picks up and back stay on.