• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I just purchase an Ericson 23 (1975)....The Red Witch.....I didn't know anything about the boats, except I like the appearance (RED & SLEEK). It is the centerboard model. It has a beautiful spinaker, new mainsail (fully batten), a 150 & 110. I have never seen a boat of this age to look this good. I was a previous owner of a Starwind 22; there is now comparison in sailing performance; the 23 is very solid, any problems to look for in the future or improvements; please let me know. A proud new owner,
Tom

sleather

Sustaining Member
Welcome!!!!!

Welcome to you & your E23, Good choice!!! there are a ton of old posts for you to peruse. You may want to check out a recent post from a "NEW to us" about the "centerboard"."First time attaching sails" I know you're going to be a "happy camper", I've had mine for 22 years and wont be buying another Ericson until I'm sailing "blue" water.

The main "weak" point IMHO is the "port bulkhead", worth looking at NOW.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from Bob, He's got a "cool little News Letter" just for E23's and he lives within "spittin" distance. What's your Pond?

****Holly Crap, I thought I had the "fully battened main" thing all to myself (North??) Just out of ????? what did you pay for it???? The boat, if I may ask.

THIS site is the greatest thing since "sliced bread". I happened to find it while GOOGLing Ericson 23's, little over a month ago! Makes ME wish I was a "founding father"

Last edited:
E23

The Main is custom made; it touches the backstay when there is no wind; 2000 6HP Mercury; I paid 5000.00; this sounds silly I know port; but what exactly do I look for when you say bulkhead; is it pulled apart, soft, etc.
Tom

Welcome to you & your E23, Good choice!!! there are a ton of old posts for you to peruse. You may want to check out a recent post from a "NEW to us" about the "centerboard"."First time attaching sails" I know you're going to be a "happy camper", I've had mine for 22 years and wont be buying another Ericson until I'm sailing "blue" water.

The main "weak" point IMHO is the "port bulkhead", worth looking at NOW.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from Bob, He's got a "cool little News Letter" just for E23's and he lives within "spittin" distance. What's your Pond?

****Holly Crap, I thought I had the "fully battened main" thing all to myself (North??) Just out of ????? what did you pay for it???? The boat, if I may ask.

THIS site is the greatest thing since "sliced bread". I happened to find it while GOOGLing Ericson 23's, little over a month ago! Makes ME wish I was a "founding father"

sleather

Sustaining Member
Bulkhead

Tom, Check where the "chainplate"(side stay attachment)goes thru the deck and is anchored to the wood "bulkhead". Look close at the topsides for any signs of vertical movement & a "good" caulk joint. Below, check for water staining on the wood and poke around to see if there is any "bad" wood. I had to rebuild mine in '02. Went out for a "last sail" fall of '01 in 30+, came back in and the whole rig was loose, the anchor bolts(below) had pulled up about 3/4"-to the underside of the deck, the wood behind the chainplate "wasn't", Almost became an episode of "Seconds from Disaster".

Sounds like you got a GREAT deal, trailer too? I've been helping a young kid here in Madison find one, fixed keel in Chicago($1,500 no trailer, k/cb in Mich.($6,800)($5,900) I did'nt see yours advertised on the Web.

Did the PO walk you thru the launching routine? Is it in yet?
Starwind 22 vs Ericson 23 is "apples & oranges" or "rhinestones & diamonds"

Last edited:
E23

Thanks for the info...I bought the boat 1 hour after the sign went up...from a retiring professor from Tobago....the boat is in a slip.I saw a E23 on the net;Torrenson Marine in Muskegon, Michigan. I was there 6 weeks ago, but was not looking for an E23. I think the price was 5900.00
The professor took my wife and I out all afternoon showing us everything about the boat...he is moving to Florida in a new Hunter 38.
Tom
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Tom, Check where the "chainplate"(side stay attachment)goes thru the deck and is anchored to the wood "bulkhead". Look close at the topsides for any signs of vertical movement & a "good" caulk joint. Below, check for water staining on the wood and poke around to see if there is any "bad" wood. I had to rebuild mine in '02. Went out for a "last sail" fall of '01 in 30+, came back in and the whole rig was loose, the anchor bolts(below) had pulled up about 3/4"-to the underside of the deck, the wood behind the chainplate "wasn't", Almost became an episode of "Seconds from Disaster".

Sounds like you got a GREAT deal, trailer too? I've been helping a young kid here in Madison find one, fixed keel in Chicago($1,500 no trailer, k/cb in Mich.($6,800)($5,900) I did'nt see yours advertised on the Web.

Did the PO walk you thru the launching routine? Is it in yet?
Starwind 22 vs Ericson 23 is "apples & oranges" or "rhinestones & diamonds"

sleather

Sustaining Member
Keep us "posted" on your adventures w/ your "new" yacht !!!

Just hit the "Post Reply" button, unless there is something specific
you want to "Quote"

Talk to "us" before you drop the mast, or did the PO talk you thru it????
Did you get a complete owners manual w/ it?????

Last edited:

Joe

Member II
You beat me to the punch. I also contacted the previous owner of 'The Red Witch' but you were too quick for me. I primarily wanted it so that I could finally get hold of a slip at Cave Run Lake - a very scarce resource for which they've even closed the waiting list.

Anyway, I was telling a friend of mine about the possibility of buying an E23 and he (a film buff) immediately mentioned an old 1948 John Wayne film, "The Wake of the Red Witch", a seafaring swashbuckler and apparently the only time John Wayne played a villain. IMDB says the movie is based on a novel of the same name by Garland Roark.<ahref="http: www.imdb.com="" title="" tt0040946=""><a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730120/bio"></ahref="http:>

sleather

Sustaining Member
Joe, Is that a "government restriction" on the reservoir? Or are they just "out" of marina space. Any "restrictions" on befriending a landowner and putting out a buoy, I did that on my lake, he was kind of happy to have such a beautiful lawn ornament.

In the movie Ol Wayno wasn't such a BAD guy he was a "seedy character" though, good movie!

Joe

Member II
Steve, great suggestion but the lake is located almost entirely within the proclamation boundary of the 661,000 acres Daniel Boone National Forest. There is no private land on the waterfront.:mad:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
richard here ... checking into the landlocked chat-room...i am still landlocked (in boulder, co) and workin' away on my e23..."a ebay special"...see my post under repair & maint "skank bottom" fo pics...we should have it out on the local no colorado lakes by this next season ... i still have quite a bit of small things to do, now that we have the hull almost finished ... it only set me back $1,100 ... so i fig'ed i would be puttin' some time & $$ into it

regards !!....

press on e23's ...... :egrin:

Last edited:

rbonilla

" Sounds like you got a GREAT deal, trailer too? "

those e23 traiiers are hard to find...i spend around 6 mos finding one that would fit...me thinks the trailer is worth as much (or more) than the hull...:rolleyes:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Calling the Red Witch

Still looks kinda "skanky", but progress has been made.

Was hoping the "RED WITCH" was back, These E23 guys come and then dissapear!

sleather

Sustaining Member
Trailer Trash!

those e23 traiiers are hard to find...i spend around 6 mos finding one that would fit...me thinks the trailer is worth as much (or more) than the hull...:rolleyes:

Me thinks your right!
I met a young pup, here in Madison that found me thru the site.
He wanted that E23 fixed keel in Chicago($1,400)w/o a trailer. By the time I talked him thru TRAILER 101 he walked away really confused.
Now he's bying my 1st boat, Sweet little CAL 21, rigged to the MAX(read ALL NORTH SAILS) for $3,000 ready to FLY(on a nice trailer). This will make having know, and taught, EVERY owner since '85!

sleather

Sustaining Member
Trailer Time

did i understand you have had your e23 for some 20 yrs?? if so...wow !!....

22 and counting. Perfect!!! boat for my lake and BEYOND!!!!!

Barely limped to the ramp this year(tires) so next Spring is "Trailer Time", Total rebuild while the boats in the water. Apostle Island's and "outside" to Isle Royal, Sept.'08

rbonilla

my 1st boat, Sweet little CAL 21, rigged to the MAX(read ALL NORTH SAILS) for $3,000 ready to FLY(on a nice trailer)

that soulds like a nice little set up...trailer and all, ea? good deal...we used to sail the cal's a lot..they are a great boat...just not quite as gracefull design (imho) as the ericsons, but good, solid, a bit "over engineered" fiberglass boat...we did a lot of cal25 sailing in longbeach @ the lbyc races...fun times...:egrin:

i am keepin' my eye out for any north sails for the e23...my wife and i met at north sails (seal beach office) working for Dick Deaver in the early 80's...i can sink in serious $$ into the boat as long as she looks up and sees we are "powered by north" :Kissy: we can bore the kids w/our sea stories..

:clap:

Last edited:

rbonilla

22 and counting. Perfect!!! boat for my lake and BEYOND!!!!!

Barely limped to the ramp this year(tires) so next Spring is "Trailer Time", Total rebuild while the boats in the water. Apostle Island's and "outside" to Isle Royal, Sept.'08

i googled apostle isl & isle royal.....that's you, way up in the north western area of the great lakes? canada?...

sleather

Sustaining Member
..they are a great boat...just not quite as gracefull design (imho) as the ericsons, but good, solid, a bit "over engineered" fiberglass boat..

i am keepin' my eye out for any north sails for the e23...my wife and i met at north sails (seal beach office) working for Dick Deaver in the early 80's...i can sink in serious $$ into the boat as long as she looks up and sees we are "powered by north" :Kissy: we can bore the kids w/our sea stories..

The Cal 21 www.cal21.com is far from over built, 1,400#-Egg Shell of a boat. 20's and above were "brick shithouses" but good boats.

The story of you meeting your wife is soooo cute!
It's a reeeally a "good thing" thing having the "admiral" on board!

sleather

Sustaining Member
i googled apostle isl & isle royal.....that's you, way up in the north western area of the great lakes? canada?...

Me is in Madison, pretty good road trip UP to Bayfield. The Cal went up there MANY times(not Isle Royale) Isle Royale is "totally"
primitive, all "backpacking", one old Hotel/marina, N.E. end.

Many good "hiding spots", beautiful place!