New Movement for the Ship's Clock

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My Weems and Plath Quartz Ship's Bell clock began keeping inaccurate time last year. It worked for a month or two, then stopped, or ran slow. These handsome clocks are present on many Ericsons, are easy to read at a distance and so become part of daily routine. I never used the ship's bell function, if it ever worked.

A new one is $750. Theoretically they're guaranteed for life, but when I called Annapolis to inquire about that, it, er, depends. Corrosion of any kind isn't covered. "Just send it in and we'll let you know the cost of repair." Ah, yes. Maybe free, very very maybe not free, shipping both ways to find out, three months wait.

Despite the history of chronometers in the quest for longitude, clock movements today are dead cheap. I recalled buying a kid a Mickey Mouse watch 30 years ago for $6. For our ship's clock job, the cost of a new quartz movement was $15. New hands are $1 more.

I adapted such a movement to the Weems & Plath, which now runs fine again. I gave up the ship's bell feature.

Here are the original works. I have no idea what all that stuff does, most of it probably for the chime function. The circuit board did have corrosion, which was visible only when disassembled. (Disassembly voids any warranty)

orig clock.JPG...IMG_7404.JPG

The replacement of the existing movement with the new one is straightforward, but has one sticking point. The Weems and Plath movement is secured to the bezel by a backing plate. The cheap replacement is secured by a ring nut against the face of the clock. Therefore, mounting needs adaptation.

The key to success is choosing the right length of threaded shaft, so the shaft doesn't hit the glass face of the clock. The W&P clock shaft is short, since it needs no ring nut. However, a ring nut requires a fairly long shaft--which then makes the shaft hit the glass. Measuring for threaded shaft length is a critical part of ordering a movement.

The adaptation requires dispensing with the ring nut and positioning the replacement movement back from the face, using some sort of spacer. I made one from a piece of plywood, glued to the back of the face with a glue gun. The attachment needs to be secure, because if the movement wobbles, or the post isn't 90 degrees relative to the face, the hands can touch the face or each other, and stop.

.15 dollar movement IMG_7406.JPG..IMG_7528.JPG

No aptitude is required for this job, although a magnifying glass is. Smallest screws I've ever seen. Nothing much to go wrong, and if you screw it all up--well, total cost of starting over from scratch is very little.

Ship's clock fixed w second hand.JPG

Total cost, $16. Clockworks link. Good idea to order new hands ($1), and a new sweep second hand ($1), in case the W&P hands get damaged or don't fit. There are many YouTube tutorials on "installing a new clock movement."

Warning:

Do not fall into watch repair channels, you'll never get out. Under no circumstances try to understand how a quartz clock works, it is too way cool.

Indexed as a Thelonious blog entry here:

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Sadly, I was gullible. I sent my “Chelsea” clock in to the manufacturer for repair. They kept it for a couple of months and replaced the works with one of those standard $5 quartz units for a charge of something like $200. It lasted for about a year. It also created radio interference. You could hear the ticking on the FM, VHF and HF radios.

So being a year older and wiser (tuition: $200) I found a cheap movement on line. They are everywhere, but it took some searching to find one with A. Continuous sweep (no ticking) and B. A shaft short enough to fit under the glass. The attachment mechanism of the hands was a little different, so I had to buy a new set of hands as well. They had to be trimmed to fit, and I had to bend the second hand a little to match the curve of the glass. Still working fine, probably five or six years on.

It did occur to me to fit little digital displays into the case instead. One could add temperature or other functions. But the Barometer is fine and I decided not to break up the set.

The now mostly empty case also makes a fine wall safe. Well, I mean I imagine it might. Nothing to see in there…

BTW, the skilled technicians at Chelsea attached their new movement to the back of the face with a piece of double-sided tape. I don’t recall how the one I bought was attached at the moment.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Sent my Weems and Plath clocks (I have had 3 different ones on different boats. I think 2 of them were fixed for free and the third was fixed for something like $40 that included a new bezel. I thought the work was good and reasonable.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sent my 20 year old Weems & Plath clock to the factory when it stopped working. They said the battery had leaked (though I couldn't see that) and charged $159 for repair. When I got the clock back, it ran for 12 seconds and stopped. They asked me to send it back and agreed to pay shipping. When I next got it back, the package looked fine but the clock hands were just laying inside. They paid the shipping again to return it. The third time I got it back it didn't work at all. The very friendly customer service said they had never had this sequence of failures and sent me a new clock free. While that while sequence took three months, it has worked fine for several years now. :)
As the clock is part of the set with the barometer, I was pleased that it could be resolved.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
I did the same on a clock about 12 years ago and it's still keeping good time in my kitchen at home. I regretted losing the ship's bell function, so I kept the bell mechanism itself in place in hope of some hoped-for new development. A couple bits of packing tape hold the works in correct alignment with the face, and a sliver of balsa wood maintains correct spacing of the new movement within to original carcass. That all sounds like a real jury rig, but once the heavy gauge lacquered brass case is closed up, it looks and sound great. Thankfully, the clock on my boat is mechanical, and it works like new, thanks to either care or dis-use by P.O.

IMG_2901.JPG
IMG_2902.JPG

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
BTW, although I polished up the clock and barometer back when I was “bringing them back,” one thing I did not do was apply any sort of lacquer. (The factory offered to do it for another $200. Each.) Now I see that they are in need again, though not so far gone as when I bought the boat. What sort of product have others used, and how long does the finish last?
cover-image

peaman

Sustaining Member
What sort of product have others used, and how long does the finish last?
Flitz can be found in good hardware stores and most marine stores. It looks pricey compared to some other products, but a little goes a long way, and it is well worth it in my opinion. I have used it for years in different conditions, and the effort always seems to last longer than anything else. I have a bonze ships bell I keep outdoors, fully exposed to weather, and after polishing with Flitz, it still looks great after 6 months or more.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks. I assume you mean the "ceramic" clear coat spray? The manufacturer says it lasts for "up to a year." Presumably they mean outdoors.

Aside: About the bell... I've considered a bell after seeing one in a consignment shop (and many on eBay) for gently announcing getting underway, and for warning swarms of windsurfers who aren't paying attention to what's around them. Although that's not quite the Colregs designated use. It seems a little friendlier than a horn. But I decided it's a luxury/complication I don't need right now.
Just curious how do you use yours and what do you do to secure the clapper when sailing?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We have the identical (to Christian) Weems & Plath ships bell clock and we rely on it for night-time decision making. We have memorized the bell time-telling system. The bell quit working a few years ago and after a couple seasons without the bell, we took it in to a local chandlery that had a clock repair person. Basic repair/cleaning/refurbishing cost was $250 and after a couple months we got the call. We checked it out and all seemed ok, so without much grumbling we paid and took it home. We soon found out that it did not work very well once it was back on the wall. The bell only worked randomly and did not match the time when it did activate. The hands worked fine, though, and it kept time.

The bells generally worked fine when the clock was flat on its back on the bench, but when hung vertically the bell operation was intermittent. I decided to try to fix it myself and in the process reverse-engineered the bell activation circuit. The bell is activated with a set of springy contact fingers under the green knob. There is a little integrated circuit (IC) that rings the bell one to eight times when the movement toggles it (on the hour and half hour), if the bell (green knob) is set to "on." The IC is a binary converter (1-2-4-8) of some kind that increments the number rings each time it is toggled. The hands have to be adjusted to match the movement trigger.

The problem was that springy set of contacts had been slightly flattened and were not making reliable contact. Once it was bent to the proper springy-ness the clock worked fine in the vertical position. I don't know whether I got a new movement for the $250 repair. The circuit board is certainly shiny and new looking. I would bet that it was as corroded as Christian's when it was inspected, but I'll never know for sure.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Just curious how do you use yours and what do you do to secure the clapper when sailing?
I don't have bell on my boat. The one I mentioned was presented to my uncle when he retired from the Coast Guard some time in the 1950's. Very thick bronze with a great tone, BTW.

Flitz is a cream which is packaged in a squeeze tube. A portion the size of a peanut (without the shell) is all that's needed at one time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, you did mention clappers or clangers......

Which can be cleaned with a Cream....!

(Sorry. Could not resist.)

David Grimm

E38-200
My clock doesn't have the bell feature. I was surprised to see the cheap plastic mechanism inside such a nice housing a few years back when I replaced the battery. Maybe in 86 they moved away from the bell, or perhaps mine never had the feature or was replaced or repaired at some point? Well with its dead battery its still right twice a day!