• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New owner Intro ERY 26-2

vasuvius

Member II
I just purchased an Ericson 26-2 (1987). I've spent the past couple weeks getting her ready to sail with a lot of help from the previous owner.
This Friday, I'm planning to splash her and sail up from Jersey City to Nyack. She will be moored at the Nyack boat club.

This is my first sailboat and I'm hoping I can learn to take care of her.

-Vasu
Ericson 26-2 "ANEMOS"

vasuvius

Member II
Congrats and welcome aboard. Take an experienced crew, ride the tides.
Thank you. Yes, I've checked the tide tables - plan to depart 30 mins after low tide at the NY battery. Also, picked a day when winds are forecast to be from SE. 2-3 kn favorable current + 10-13 kn favorable winds should help with the 27 nm trip to her new home :)
Fighting tide or wind up the Hudson is painful.

vasuvius

Member II
301C7 87
Love the boat. Sailed her up the Hudson yesterday and made it to my mooring at Nyack just as total darkness set it.
For a while the wind was right behind us - we use some lines to tie off a preventer (vang line was not long enough) and a whisker pole on the job sheet to go wing on wing :) Didn't think it would work as there was no proper fitment for the whisker pole on the mast.
I have to figure out what kind of car I need for the track on the mast for the whisker pole.

IMG_0061.jpg

acubria

Member II
Welcome to the club Vasu. I just purchased my E26-2 a few months ago and she is now in Brooklyn. We are almost neighbors! You will love the boat. I was thinking of taking her up the Hudson this summer. Will be in touch.

frick

Member III
Welcome aboard. My Ericson 29 (which is up for sale) is going in the water today. I get a few sails in before I am moving south.

Rick

philippecprevost

Hello. I bought a 26-2 last year and was wondering if anyone has been able to reach 6 knots. Also wondered if anyone had tips on pointing. I feel I’m always a few degrees bellow other boats when racing. Finally, does anyone have issues with deck delamination ?

Attachments

• C8BE6DAC-3A04-49D1-ABAA-C2555A720D4F.jpeg
    C8BE6DAC-3A04-49D1-ABAA-C2555A720D4F.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 32
  • ED1329D9-702C-407E-BAE6-40255DB6404D.jpeg
    ED1329D9-702C-407E-BAE6-40255DB6404D.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 40903794-D76F-4D94-99A1-FBA9AD65B9D8.jpeg
    40903794-D76F-4D94-99A1-FBA9AD65B9D8.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 31

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Finally, does anyone have issues with deck delamination ?
Hard to advise without a detailed description and some pix.
What did your survey say about deck and core condition?

Nice looking boat, BTW! As for speed, our previous 26 footer would sail or motor at 6.2 kts with ease, and surf to 8 kts downwind. So 6 kts seems normal, but owners of sister ships will have to weigh in.

dcoyle

Member III
Typical race trim for upwind in 12-14 knots
Boom up the traveler so boom on center line, main trimmed so top batten parallel to boom. Vang off, not sure where outhaul would be on your boat, you will have to experiment, mark the outhaul line with sharpie every inch or 2, start with a belly the size of a fist at foot of sail then make small adjustments and see what works best.

Jib trim included using inboard track if you have it, jib car positioned so that inside telltales break at same time. On our E33 we trim the jib so that is about an inch off upper spreader, on your boat it would be the lower and only spreader, and about an inch off. Start there and experiment. Also get some decals so you can mark jib car position once you have the best spot figured out.

Im not a sail maker but do like to race so my free advice is worth about what you paid for it! :)

acubria

Member II
Congratulations on the boat. My e-26 will not reach 6 knots motoring with a Yanmar 1gm and 5.5 is kind of top speed for us. I have to admit can not get it to run over 2800rpm, so who knows. As for sailing, I am pretty sure we reach 6-7knots in the right conditions. Keeping the bottom clean makes a huge difference. My deck has zero delimitation (1984) and the whole boat is dry as a bone inside. Love these little Ericsons.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I have a 1988 hull #329, and the hub speed is 5.8 Knot so it would be hard for her to go 6Kn on motor, 12Kn upwind flat water close hauled is 5.2-5.3 knots.