• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New owners - water in keel underneath bilge

hdlEric

Member III
I am not familiar with where the mast is stepped on your boat, but on my '87 E34, it is stepped on the keel. When it rains, I get water pouring out of the bottom of my mast; not enough to cause the bilge pump to function though.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Yes, I have that same spot that collects water which is now slightly flatter since I replaced the strut. Unfortunately it’s impossible to see under the fuel tank. But there are other more visible collection spots on the 30+ (and likely other models) that can help identify stern area leaks- one right under the shaft log and one just aft of the rudder post.

View attachment 43889

Well, as luck has it, I've been rewiring my whole boat which leads to taking care of this why I'm here and that while I'm here, etc, etc, !!!

Anyhow, I have my fuel tank out and remembered this post. Did the modifications you made here stop water from pooling under the tank?

Also, under the stuffing box, the TAFG is cut out and water will pool up there as well. I assume this will eventually migrate down to the bilge area but makes me wonder why they cut it out instead of tabbing it in and then utilizing the drain tube underneath the engine? Thoughts?