New purchase of Ericson 26

Jumanji

I'm headed out to look at a 26 in the next couple days and was wondering if there are any major faults to watch out for. Mainly any issues with the Westerbeke Diesel, de-lamination, etc..

The boat is a 1989 model with wheel steering and a deep keel.

Thanks!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Good question. I have a 1984 E26-2 with a Yanmar 1GM engine. I can't comment on the engine, but a few thoughts on the boat itself.

Most of the issues you are looking for would be generic for a boat of its age. As for some E26 issues in particular:

On my boat and on others of its vintage, Ericson used PVC plumbing pieces (elbows, etc.) on the thru hulls for the head. Those are totally unsuitable and may trigger an insurance issue. Whether or not it did, you need to get rid of those post haste if they are present. Assuming those have not been changed out, the seller really ought to correct that, or adjust the price accordingly for you to do it.

The starboard aft leg of the bow pulpit contains internal wiring from the running lights mounted on the front of the pulpit. The place where this wiring penetrates the deck is prone/likely to be leaking. Look for water damage to the headliner underneath the forward part of the vee berth, starboard side. Also check for deck core issues there.

Another place that is prone to leaks is where the deck fills are located for the water tank(s), starboard side, near the shroud attachment points.

Look at the plywood veneer along the cabin sides. Window leaks are typical, and if left unattended will damage/delaminate the veneer. (I long ago stopped the leaks, but haven't gotten around to replacing the veneer with formica, which I plan to do purely for cosmetic reasons.)

The teak and holly plywood sole is prone to water damage from water in the shallow bilge compartments. Ericson did not treat the underside of the plywood. You may see delamination on the bottom and mushiness and water staining on the top. This is not a trivial job to replace. (I've done mine.)

Check all the headliner zippers to make sure they work. (This isn't E26-specific, but it does apply to pretty much all Ericson models, since they were fitted with vinyl headliners.)

If you do an out-of-the-water survey (recommended), stand back and site the rudder to make sure it is in line with the keel. Also turn the rudder from side to side to make sure there are no issues. I've known a few of these boats--including mine--that had bent rudder posts. I replaced my rudder with a new one that has a heavier schedule for the post.

Mine came with a propane stove, since removed. I don't know if it was originally installed by the factory or a previous owner. But it clearly was not up to ABYC standards. Someone thought it was a swell idea to add a splice into the feed line to the stove--a definite no-no. I would have corrected it, but instead decided to remove it altogether and go with a non-pressurized alcohol stove.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. I do like the E26, by the way. It's a good sailing boat and has a very nice interior for a boat its size.

Report back on what you find. And feel free to follow up with additional questions.

Jumanji

Thank you so much for the reply!

That was exactly what I was looking for and will really help me in selecting the best (new to me) Ericson. The current one I'm looking at is an 89' model, did those have the Westerbeke or Yanmar from the factory?

Thanks again

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thank you so much for the reply!

That was exactly what I was looking for and will really help me in selecting the best (new to me) Ericson. The current one I'm looking at is an 89' model, did those have the Westerbeke or Yanmar from the factory?

Thanks again
I'm fairly confident that the Westerbeke would have been factory. I believe they moved away from the Yanmar in '85 or '86.

If I'm not mistaken, the Westerbeke they put in is fresh water cooled. That's a good thing. The Yanmar is a raw water cooled engine. )My friend Neil, who posts on this list, redesigned the cooling system for fresh water cooling, so I no longer have that concern.)

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I'm fairly confident that the Westerbeke would have been factory. I believe they moved away from the Yanmar in '85 or '86.

If I'm not mistaken, the Westerbeke they put in is fresh water cooled. That's a good thing. The Yanmar is a raw water cooled engine. )My friend Neil, who posts on this list, redesigned the cooling system for fresh water cooling, so I no longer have that concern.)
My E26 is a 1985 with a Westerbeke. It uses raw water (via a heat exchanger) to cool the freshwater system.

I'm surprised a 1989 has a Westerbeke - I thought they only put that in for a couple of years after the Yanmar then moved to the Universal M12.

Jumanji

My E26 is a 1985 with a Westerbeke. It uses raw water (via a heat exchanger) to cool the freshwater system.

I'm surprised a 1989 has a Westerbeke - I thought they only put that in for a couple of years after the Yanmar then moved to the Universal M12.
After speaking with the current owner it does indeed have a Universal M12-2. I’m not sure if this is better or worse than any of the rest.

It’s on the hard right now and looks to be in good shape from pictures. He stated that the head on the diesel had been removed and cleaned a few years ago **shrug**. The only thing that has me concerned is why the mast is still up. Isn’t it customary to unstep the mast before putting the boat on stands?

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
After speaking with the current owner it does indeed have a Universal M12-2. I’m not sure if this is better or worse than any of the rest.
From what I know, they're pretty similar to maintain from parts and whatnot. I've found plenty of aftermarket parts, but also had to pay Westerbeke prices for a few parts that were pretty specific.
The only thing that has me concerned is why the mast is still up. Isn’t it customary to unstep the mast before putting the boat on stands?
Not sure what the norm is other places, but if you don't have to drop the mast to get it out of the water (restrictions on the lift, etc.), why not leave it on?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

It’s on the hard right now and looks to be in good shape from pictures. He stated that the head on the diesel had been removed and cleaned a few years ago **shrug**. The only thing that has me concerned is why the mast is still up. Isn’t it customary to unstep the mast before putting the boat on stands?
The Universal M12 is based on a Japanese Kubota engine. This engine was used in a variety of applications, such as tractors. Universal "marinized" it by adding the pieces necessary to work in a marine context, particularly the cooling system. But the engine itself is a Kubota.

The M12 should be a great little engine. I had its slightly larger cousin, the M18, in a previous boat. It was excellent. I would, however, want to know why he would have had the head removed "to clean it." That doesn't pass the smell test. Typically you would not be removing the head as a regular maintenance item, and it would only come off if some sort of repair is needed. (I need to replace the head on a spare Yanmar 1GM I have sitting in my garage because it developed a hole in it.) So, while adjusting the valves might be something one would do periodically (i.e., with the head remaining in place), removing the entire head "to clean it" is not.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
While there might certainly be some logical reason for removing a head, I would be curious as to why it was done.
That said, Ericson was buying Universal Diesels (Kubota blocks) by the train load for all of their aux. engines. They did install a Yanmar if the buyer wanted one, and a friend of mine has a good running '86 E-38, with one.
I had an engine survey (separate from the boat survey) done when we bought out boat, and it paid for itself in revealing some overdue maintenance. I'm a believer in surveys.
FWIW you should try to get some some additional info. Additional trivia - Universal engines were supplied by a company actually known as "Universal Westerbeke" and still sell either brand to please the customer.

kath

Good question. I have a 1984 E26-2 with a Yanmar 1GM engine. I can't comment on the engine, but a few thoughts on the boat itself.

Most of the issues you are looking for would be generic for a boat of its age. As for some E26 issues in particular:

On my boat and on others of its vintage, Ericson used PVC plumbing pieces (elbows, etc.) on the thru hulls for the head. Those are totally unsuitable and may trigger an insurance issue. Whether or not it did, you need to get rid of those post haste if they are present. Assuming those have not been changed out, the seller really ought to correct that, or adjust the price accordingly for you to do it.

The starboard aft leg of the bow pulpit contains internal wiring from the running lights mounted on the front of the pulpit. The place where this wiring penetrates the deck is prone/likely to be leaking. Look for water damage to the headliner underneath the forward part of the vee berth, starboard side. Also check for deck core issues there.

Another place that is prone to leaks is where the deck fills are located for the water tank(s), starboard side, near the shroud attachment points.

Look at the plywood veneer along the cabin sides. Window leaks are typical, and if left unattended will damage/delaminate the veneer. (I long ago stopped the leaks, but haven't gotten around to replacing the veneer with formica, which I plan to do purely for cosmetic reasons.)

The teak and holly plywood sole is prone to water damage from water in the shallow bilge compartments. Ericson did not treat the underside of the plywood. You may see delamination on the bottom and mushiness and water staining on the top. This is not a trivial job to replace. (I've done mine.)

Check all the headliner zippers to make sure they work. (This isn't E26-specific, but it does apply to pretty much all Ericson models, since they were fitted with vinyl headliners.)

If you do an out-of-the-water survey (recommended), stand back and site the rudder to make sure it is in line with the keel. Also turn the rudder from side to side to make sure there are no issues. I've known a few of these boats--including mine--that had bent rudder posts. I replaced my rudder with a new one that has a heavier schedule for the post.

Mine came with a propane stove, since removed. I don't know if it was originally installed by the factory or a previous owner. But it clearly was not up to ABYC standards. Someone thought it was a swell idea to add a splice into the feed line to the stove--a definite no-no. I would have corrected it, but instead decided to remove it altogether and go with a non-pressurized alcohol stove.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. I do like the E26, by the way. It's a good sailing boat and has a very nice interior for a boat its size.

Report back on what you find. And feel free to follow up with additional questions.
Separate from the question, could you share what you did to eliminate leaks in your windows? Are they Lewmar opening ports? Thanks!

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
The Universal M12 is based on a Japanese Kubota engine. This engine was used in a variety of applications, such as tractors. Universal "marinized" it by adding the pieces necessary to work in a marine context, particularly the cooling system. But the engine itself is a Kubota.
Oh, I don't think I knew that. The Westerbekes are based on a Mitsubishi, I believe.
Separate from the question, could you share what you did to eliminate leaks in your windows? Are they Lewmar opening ports? Thanks!
These would be the fixed windows. There are many threads around here on re-bedding the glass (not a project I've taken on yet) that leads to success in stopping said leaks.