• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New rigging ...

Sven

Seglare
... looks beautiful !

We got Senta back on Friday night, in the pouring rain, but she looked really good even then :egrin:

All new standing rigging. Garhauer rigid vang. LED anchor and tri-color. LED spreader lights. Spars and spinnaker pole stripped, primed and Awlgriped. Details fixed. Broadband radar installer (not yet hooked up). SSB backstay. Cutter stay (that I will re-do the lower attachment to tie it more soundly into the hull). Running backstays. Chainplates rebedded.

This coming Friday we go out for a shakedown with Todd and on Saturday we head out for two weeks ... if the weather just cooperates a little bit :D

Good thing we are heading out because now we're so broke that being on the water away from stores will be great !

-Sven

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
spreader lights

Sven
What did you use for LED spreader lights - I want to do this and don't know what LED fixtures to use.
John
e-39 60

Sven

Seglare
Sven
What did you use for LED spreader lights - I want to do this and don't know what LED fixtures to use.
John
e-39 60

They are actually courtesy lights (according to Todd). They look like hockey pucks and each one has four white LEDs. The light from them is just about perfect in that it doesn't kill your night vision but is still bright enough so that you can see very clearly. They only cost us $30 ea. which I find amazing. They look like these which means Todd made about $12 on each by charging us $30 :) http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|65136|739053|760439&id=1097847

I just hope they will last because they are perfect.

-Sven

Willpatten

Member II
New Standing Rigging

Sven, just curious: did you replace the original standing rigging or is this version 3.0.
Rigging on my '90 38-200 looks fantastic but some people urge me to replace it based on 20 year.
It hasn't seen a lot of salt and I can't find any rust.

Sven

Seglare
Sven, just curious: did you replace the original standing rigging or is this version 3.0.
Rigging on my '90 38-200 looks fantastic but some people urge me to replace it based on 20 year.
It hasn't seen a lot of salt and I can't find any rust.

I don't know so I'll just relay what I have been told :)

When we had the survey done at the time of purchase the surveyor said it looked like the original rigging and that since we were planning t go off shore we should replace it, no question about it. When we had the San Diego rigger look at it he said some parts had been exchanged already and it actually didn't look that bad. He thought that the very light sailing she appeared to have experienced was probably the reason and that if she had been sailed in the Bay area or raced it would not have lasted so long. He suggested that we stay out of heavy weather and take a year to get to know the boat so we could better judge what we really wanted done.

When Todd did the rigging job he commented that the original fittings used on the Ericson's at that time were really high quality and while it was time to redo it all, nothing showed actual cracks yet. I think there was one shackle up at the masthead which was bent and would have given way over time but other than that the 32 years hadn't really left their mark.

-Sven