New traveler for E28+

Gary G

Member II
I'm considering as a winter project replacing the traveler on my 1983 E28+. The traveler is recessed in a groove at the companionway entrance and my current thinking is I'd just pull out the old one and put a new, better one in the same location. Problem is, there seems to be no reasonable access to the mounting bolts under the traveler. It looks like the vinyl headliner inside the cabin would have to be cut out somehow in order to get to the nuts. The headliner is in excellent shape and I'd hate to hack it up and end up with a mess. Has anyone here replaced the traveler on an E28+? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Gary - I know nothing about E-28+ interiors, but I have taken down my vinyl overhead a few times for different projects and have not had a problem getting it back in place. Usually you can do the job by opening it at an edge or a zipper and reaching between the vinyl and the deck to the fasteners.

At the edges there is a piece of teak trim, and behind that there are what seems like an infinite number of staples holding the vinyl. After doing the job it is easy to staple the vinyl back in place using less than an infinite number of 1/4" or 5/6" staples.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm considering as a winter project replacing the traveler on my 1983 E28+. The traveler is recessed in a groove at the companionway entrance and my current thinking is I'd just pull out the old one and put a new, better one in the same location. Problem is, there seems to be no reasonable access to the mounting bolts under the traveler. It looks like the vinyl headliner inside the cabin would have to be cut out somehow in order to get to the nuts. The headliner is in excellent shape and I'd hate to hack it up and end up with a mess. Has anyone here replaced the traveler on an E28+? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds familair. Our bridgedeck traveler is accessible easily on one side from underneath. The center part and starboard end are under a vinyl headliner. I would have to remove that liner from the nearest edge, staple by staple. I have done this for work under the headliner in the main cabin and put it back with no noticeable problem.
The inside seam under the cockpit has some sort of hidden-staple cover strip over the joint and would be more challenging to remove without damage. I could imagine having to call in an automotive upholsterer for help, if it comes to that! Those custom car guys are used to working where nothing is straight or square!

Hmmmm.... maybe a new headliner in black leather -- tuck n roll!
:)

Cheers,
LB

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Not so easy

In gutting my 28 the traveller track was just one of many things removed. The wood trim and the head liner have to be removed. I also had to cut down the bulk head to get the nuts off of the bolts. Also had to remove the upper and lower tracks and frame for the sliding trash door. In the end it's all worth the trouble. My Ronstan track was still in very good condition. I upgraded with new Ronstan car and end controls. Not on the boat yet but hopefully by next sailing season. Doing a complete redo of electrical, plumbing and interior. Al Frakes, Port Kent, NY