Newbie questions about an Ericson 34 [and Shipping a Boat by Truck]

bertboyer

Member I
The video from our trucking adventure... only 52 miles. Trucking cost was about $800. In my case, the mast had to be unstepped and restepped, which added about another $700-800. If the tape is going to be on for more than a few hours, I recommend using delicate surface painters tape.

Good luck with your search!
Dave
Thank you. As it turns out, the Sausalito boat sold to another buyer. So no moving needs at the moment.
Bert

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
If the tape is going to be on for more than a few hours, I recommend using delicate surface painters tape.

I (at the recommendation of a rigger-friend) used "preservation tape". It's designed to be used for securing shrink-wrap on over-road trucking hauls, it stretches to conform to curves, it seals nicely and comes off without leaving residue even weeks later.

You can buy official (3M) preservation tape for about 80 bucks a roll, or you can find the same stuff in "Dr. Shrink" branding on Amazon for about 20 bucks a roll.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding putting tape around the spar and rig bits -- first lay a tape layer on with the non-sticky side down. Then apply the tape over that and pull tight. No residue left on the spar or lines. Use decent quality gray "hundred mile an hour" tape.