Nice E38 review!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
July/August issue of Sailing magazine has a nice review of the E38, with contributions from our own Christian WIlliams.

Well done!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for heads-up.
I had not read that issue yet.

Interesting how the (unknown to me) author contradicts some of the statements of the people he quotes in the article. Nice to see the design mentioned, but some bits of the review are sort of like being 'damned with faint praise'.

Poor "tender" boat... it's a wonder it does not fall over! :rolleyes:

And the "six knot" speed.... on my delivery trip up the WA coast on an '86 E-38-200, we were doing 8 kts continuously with the Yanmar diesel, and when the wind came up strongly astern we were sailing at 8 kts with the genoa.

Oh well, as the PR saying used to go: "say anything, but spell my name right!" :)

Loren

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Yeah, I had the same thought. He said the boat was "tender" but that the TAFG helped with that. Maybe he was wrestling with the concept of "stiff", but got confused between "not bending" and "not laying on its ear".

Fun read, anyway!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not available on line yet, I guess. Dim recollection of talking to somebody from Sailing Magazine and saying I didn't know much about the boat yet.

Lucky Dog

Member III
Went to three book stores. All sold out. Ended up going WM.
Anything to read about the Ericson is great....but really, our website only got three.
like unknown author to show me a better one.

On a different tack. Any news on you book becoming audio? I still have three weeks of travel.

mark

Ericsean

Member III
E-38 Review

Speaking of reviews, I especially love the Boat US review of the E-38.
Quite a while ago I was in a watering hole, and trying to describe my boat to a stinkpotter, so I looked up E-38 on my phone.
The Boat US review came up, and as I scrolled thru was happily surprised to see a photo of my E-38 attached to the review!
I had submitted the photo to ERICSONYACHTS.org, so I'm guessing someone passed it along to them.

That shot was taken from a chopper from the Around Long Island Race in 2011. One my my crew bought it for me, not cheap either!
We actually won our division that year, finishing the 200 KM race in 32 hours! Next boat was 9 hours behind us.

Not bad for hull #3!
1980 E-38, Rettsie!!

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
While picking up a heat exchanger zinc at WM yesterday I grabbed the July / August issue and read the reveiw. It was a positive and well written review. Had no idea they sold for $190,000 new. :0

Last edited: