• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

No Power at the Instrument Panel

captnmully

First, I want to thank the moderators for accepting me to EY.O forum. I own a Sabre 34, but the Club I belong to has a fleet of boat share vessels and one is an E27. I'm trying to assist them with an electrical issue. There is no power at the instrument panel. The batteries are good, the battery switch is fine and I'm getting battery voltage at the starter. The engine is the Universal M12 and I'm aware of the issues with the wiring harness trailer like connector. Before I start working on the connector, is power for the panel running through this connector? Is the ground as well? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated or if anyone has a wiring diagram that would be fantastic.

Thanks
Bill Mulholland
Keyport Yacht Club

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bill,
Welcome to the forums!
I did not realize that the E-27 might have that diesel in it. What year is the boat? The M12 might be familiar to other site members, so we shall see who checks in.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks. The boat is a 1987 model year.
Ah so. Not an Ericson 27, which ended production in the late 70's.
Perhaps an Ericson 28. Different boat. And at this age there could indeed be resistance in the old wiring, positive or negative side.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The standard Ericson/Universal setup has the engine panel powered via the red wire of the engine harness (yes, thorough the trailer connectors). There is a 30A inline fuse just before the red wire reaches the panel--check this first.

23172.attach~3.jpg

Yes, the ground for the engine panel is the harness's black wire.

Last edited:

captnmully

Ah so. Not an Ericson 27, which ended production in the late 70's.
Perhaps an Ericson 28. Different boat. And at this age there could indeed be resistance in the old wiring, positive or negative side.
I stand corrected. It's a 1987 E26. Thanks for pointing it out.

captnmully

The standard Ericson/Universal setup has the engine panel powered via the red wire of the engine harness (yes, thorough the trailer connectors). There is a 30A inline fuse just before the red wire reaches the panel--check this first.

View attachment 44243

Yes, the ground for the engine panel is the harness's black wire.
Thanks Ken!. The wiring diagram was very useful and it turned out to be a blown 30 amp fuse. Not sure what caused the fuse to blow, but it's running.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Not sure what caused the fuse to blow, but it's running.
Mine was tripping repeatedly in 2019, after engine start. Engine kept running, but no instruments available. Troubleshooting the old panels is difficult, which leads a lot of us to re-wire the panel. Here is my posting: