O34 details

jhse27

I would like to know the headroom in the Olson 34 in the main cabin. I am 6'2" and would not want to walk around in anymore of stoop than I currently have. Additionally, I was wondering if the back berth in the O34 is open or does it have a door for privacy? Finally, does the O34 have an anchor locker in the bow and a locker in the lazerette? Looked at a Express 37 recently, as a potential fast cruiser, loved the boat until I realized it has no anchor locker and no openings to the storage in the stern at all.

Thanks.

Glyn Judson

Headroom question.

Sorry, can't help on this one but you reminded me of an article in Sail Magazine or some other dating back 25-30 years ago. It dealt with the subject of tall cruising couples and as a function of that, the author gave the husband's height as whatever, something like 6' 5", can't really remember but was corrected by the wife when expressing her height as 6' 1". She told him that was not her height, that she was 5' 13". Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA at 5' 10" with 6' 1" headroom.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am 6'2" and walking around inside the cabin with shoes on my head grazes the vinyl headliner. It is pretty much an honest 6'2".
There is a privacy door to the aft cabin. We removed and stored the door to the forward cabin a long time ago. Actually, the only crucial door is the head door.;)
There is an anchor well forward and a large laz. compartment under a seat hatch on port side of cockpit. I have working a lot down in that area this winter upgrading the #2 water tank there. I am not as thin as I used to be, or the work would go faster...
:rolleyes:

Funny you mentioning the Express 37. We had considered that as a move up boat, but even the 12 they built with the enhanced wood interior pieces (Express 37 mk 2) is still rather spartan. Plus the head is forward. We really like having the aft head / shower in the Olson.

If you want a tour of our boat sometime, let me know.
There are interior measurements for our boat in this thread.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7721&referrerid=28
Here is our anchor well.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3951&referrerid=28

Cheers,
Loren

jhse27

Thanks, Loren. Good info. We are in the process of finding our "next" boat. Not much in our region right now. Looked at an Express 37, drooled over the speed, but realized the cruising aspect would be a lot like camping out. Would love to afford a 36s7, Ericson 38, Sabre 38. Looking presently at a Pearson 36-2.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seeking the perfect boat

We are in the process of finding our "next" boat. Not much in our region right now. Looked at an Express 37, drooled over the speed, but realized the cruising aspect would be a lot like camping out. Would love to afford a 36s7, Ericson 38, Sabre 38. Looking presently at a Pearson 36-2.

In order of build quality, I would see a tie for the Sabre and the Ericson, next down the Pearson, and the "Bendy-toe" lower down. At least the 90's Ben has the cockpit set up for sailing. The deep keel model seems to draw almost 7 ft, which is a lot for the Columbia River.
The E-38/200 would give you an aft head and separate shower. If we buy one that would be one of the main attractions. I guess they all have their compromises... :rolleyes:

Lordy, I wish that Carl S had not died way before his time! I would have loved to have seen his design for a 38 foot version of our boat with our tri-cabin interior. Oh my o my!

Our present boat is near perfect, except... we would love to have the storage and tankage that would come with some additional volume.

One would think that with all the different permutations of sail boats built in the last 30 years, there would be something perfect for everyone.... but I have not found it to be true.
Cheers,

LB

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
excellent point....:nerd:

One would think that with all the different permutations of sail boats built in the last 30 years, there would be something perfect for everyone.... but I have not found it to be true.
Cheers,

LB