• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Oil leak

cdesopo

Member II
So we discovered coolant dripping from the fw pump & I'm assuming that's a precursor to failure so replacing that is now a priority. Any suggestions on a good source?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's not the worst of our problems. At the same time we found a spray of what appears to be oil, around the entire inside of the engine compartment as well as under the galley sink. It's a perfectly straight line and was very little oil but I'm wondering, is this too a sign of imminent failure? And if so, of what?

Chris

1911tex

Sustaining Member
The coolant drips may be caught by the belt or pulley as the cause of the straight line slinging of what may not be oil? Feel or use a paper towel around the belt and the pulleys to see if there is any apparent liquid. Have you check the oil level on the dipstick?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If replacing the closed-cooling pump, they are more expensive than the raw water pump. You may be talking about the iron vane pump on the port side, looking at the front of the engine? Mine was working fine when we replaced that engine at 2300 hours. They are quite durable.
I once checked on the price, just in case... it was expensive thru the Universal/Westerbeke dealer. I wonder if it can be sourced from a friendly Kubota tractor source?
Oil spraying? start with the easy/obvious place and carefully inspect the spin-on filter for a leak or a gasket problem. I never had a problem, but a friend of mine with a similar Universal had his alternator bracket break, and then drop down a bit and puncture that filter. Quite a mess. :(
Good luck on your detective work.

cdesopo

Member II
Oil level on dipstick appears full & adds to the mystery. The oil is fresh and still quite clear and what appeared sprayed around the cabinet looked like dirty oil. The oil is so clean though, I can't be certain I don't have a few ounces too much oil. It wouldn't be more than a couple ounces (about a gallon came out and 4 quarts went in) & I didn't think that would be an issue.

I'd be happy if it was the coolant but that is very green and I can't imagine it showing no sign of green in the spatter/spray pattern. Had hoped to find a loose filter or something as simple the other day, no such luck.

Wiped everything down and will be running it tomorrow while watching for leaks. Looking at the threads on oil viscosity... Being optimistic and still hoping for a simple solution!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Check the crankcase breather tube. It expels oil vapors and can drip. Mine is stuck into the KN air filter so the vapor is introduced back into the engine for burning, but many just hang there.

cdesopo

Member II
I did check the breather tube & it was clean. I'm fearing a crankshaft seal, oil squeezing out and flying upon exit. I'm thinking of experiment with a different oil viscosity. Used straight HD30 like the po but a different brand, not expecting an issue there. Boat was on the hard for 3+ years and we've just put 5-6 hours on it in the past two weeks & have not pushed it to full throttle yet.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
will be running it tomorrow while watching for leaks. Looking at the threads on oil viscosity... Being optimistic and still hoping for a simple solution!

I'll bet you'll find one. Do reconfirm that the dipstick shows full or less when pressed all the way in, and open the oil fill cap just to be sure the pressure is equalized (so the dipstick reads true). Dipsticks have fooled many of us into adding too much oil.

wynkoop

Member III
Are you sure the spray is lube oil and not fuel oil? I had a oily spray around my engine compartment just after I installed the new Yanmar. Turns out it was a lose fuel connection at the injector.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
One more thought: "The oil is fresh and still "quite clear" and what appeared sprayed around the cabinet looked like dirty oil. The oil is so clean though".........

If this boat is new to you, perhaps the spray is old and never noticed; have you dabbed the spray with a paper towel ? If oil or antifreeze, it will pool down the straight line...is it darker at the lower line, is it wet or dry? If wet, does it have an oily or antifreeze odor? If dry, clean it up and see if it reappears after a run. Also if dry, the PO may have changed the oil filter in the past and not tightened properly..creating the line and not cleaning the mess up.

I have changed the diesel oil in my engine several times and even run for a few minutes to check for leaks, the dip stick oil is never "quite clear". That is the nature of a Diesel engine as opposed to a gasoline engine new oil change which will remain clear for a long time.

Last edited:

cdesopo

Member II
Rechecked the oil, not overfilled. The spray is new as we completely cleaned everything and could not have missed it. It's a fine line & right now I'm going with it lines up too well with the coolant dripping off the fw pump to be anything else. I did do my best Jackson Pollock impression with some nice green coolant and an old piece of plywood & it does lose it's color almost immediately. This week's project is the pump.
spray_pattern.jpg coolant_leak.jpg